Thursday, September 25, 2008

It's a Day to be Naked

Okay, not literally naked. Although-- that's always a fun day!

No. It's a day to be exposed. To let go of the facades or the fear of 'what people may think'. On top of that, Sin and I are putting "Naked" on the end of every sentence we write to each other on Facebook. Which is getting freaking HILARIOUS!!! It sure makes a mondane Thursday that much funnier! Naked. ;P You should try it naked. It can make some REALLY funny sentences naked. (and, after reading this post, if you insert "NAKED" at the end of the sentences, it's REALLY funny- ie: "I DID teach Chris how to treat me" turns into "I DID teach Chris how to treat me naked". Way funnier, hey?! LOL)

So, on the 'expose yourself' vibe.. here goes. I sat and contemplated for a long time about sharing this, and feel VERY exposed when I write it here. But here goes.

I have a pretty smart sister. Once.. I think it was last week.. we were on the phone, catching up and talking like we do.

Lola: Do you think it's possible that we teach people how to treat us?
Me: NO!! At least, I hope we don't. I don't think I taught Chris to treat me like he did. I don't think so, no.

And we dropped the conversation.

Fast forward to last night, when Chris and I were chatting. We talked about the way we were, what went wrong-- the inevitable talks that really don't help in any way. But, it's kinda cathartic, so I subject myself to it willingly.

We spoke of morals, of guilt, of learning from mistakes.. And then, I had an AHA moment. I DID treat Chris how to treat me.

Here's why:
When we were dating, he cheated on me once. We were dating, he felt that I was leaving him since I was moving to another province, and cheated. I'm the ONLY person he's ever cheated on. When he told me, we talked a long time about it. What it meant to the 'US', what it meant to him and me personally. I told him about BAMM, the only boyfriend I cheated on. I told him how much it broke my heart to have done that to him, and how it was the biggest mistake I ever made. How, in that moment, I wished BAMM would have forgiven me and given me a second chance. He didn't. I vowed to NEVER cheat again, and vowed that, if it so be the case, I would forgive someone who cheats on me. But only once.

Maybe that's dumb to you. But I know what I felt being on the other end, and knew that I wanted to never make someone feel that way.

BUT...

By BAMM not forgiving me, he helped me. He showed me that it's not okay. That he deserved better. And I learned that I NEVER wanted to do that again. And I never have.

I robbed Chris of that experience by forgiving him the first time. I TAUGHT him that it's okay to do that to me, because it was okay the first time. I taught him that. I sat there, telling him about this lightbulb moment, and we fell silent in thought, looking at each other. I taught him that it was okay to treat me like that.

After a bit of time, he tilts his head,
Chris: I wonder how I taught you to treat me the ways you did.
Me: *shrugs*.. I dunno.
Chris: will you reteach me?




Silence.

15 comments:

Cheryl and Bob said...

You can't just end it like that...naked!! What do you mean silence...naked!

Anonymous said...

As sad as it is, I think I have taught my husband how to treat me too. Or at least how I think I deserve to be treated. How do you change it once a pattern is in place? If only someone had all the answers...

Debbi said...

HAHAH, Cheryl--- I can TOO end it like that naked! It's my blog and I write what I want to naked! ;P

Debbi said...

and, anon--
I don't know how to change it. Maybe we can't. Once we're taught..does it ever change?

And I KNOW you don't deserve to be treated that way, no matter what YOU think you deserve.

Anonymous said...

I will be the one to point out the elephant in the room=
GET BACK TOGETHER WITH HIM ALREADY! MAKE IT THE HAPPY ENDING IT CAN BE!

"naked"
hah hee hah, that works too!

Debbi said...

Anon2, it's not the elephant I worry about-- it's the zebra who can't change their stripes.

Unknown said...

*gasps*
What do you say to that?!?!

mcdltdsy said...

I'm cooking vegetable soup NAKED!!! LOL

Carla McDaniel said...

wow...made me think. do we really teach people by our actions or otherwise how to treat us? i agree that we do, but is it too late to change our patterns. NO...i don't think it is ever too late...but not until you realize YOU have to change.
And NO, non of us ever deserve to be treated that way. i used to think that people could not change, but i've learned through my personal experiences and trials...that it is TOTALLY POSSIBLE, with a lot of work!!
You'll figure things out, you always do!!
love you my NAKED friend :)

Anonymous said...

Anonymous #3 here;
Your husband did cheat on other women. He cheated on all the other women while he was with you. You are still married, if he is dating he is still cheating. So yes I agree that you in that sense have allowed him to treat you this way. Any woman deserves better that this.

Debbi said...

anon3.. I don't get how he cheated on all the other women too??? Can you explain what you mean by that?

Erin said...

OH MY GOSH!! SOOO much to say about this post, I think I'm going to do my own post about it & spare you the INSANELY long comment I would be leaving here! :)

Itworksforbobbi said...

You are certainly wise to come to the conclusion that you taught him how to treat you - I feel it's true in each of our lives, with spouses, friends, and our children. It's eye opening to me and it's gotten me to look at my own life and the changes I can make there.

And you seriously can't end your post like that... naked!

Anonymous said...

Re: he cheated on other women: do you really think all those other women he had sex with were not told they were very special in his life - that he had an unhappy marriage and that things with them could make his life better - or do you believe all his other women just jumped into bed with him because he was so hot! If he was having sex so indiscriminately with hookers etc. then he was not only cheating on you, but taking chances with your health! And with the health of EF - You are continuing to give him the messages that it is OK for him to be dating while you are still married, and you will still go for walks with him, feed him, cuddle on the couch with him, .... what is he missing but the sex? Your children are young, but what are you teaching them - that you can divorce but still remain best friends and love each other? NO - you can be friendly, and civil, but I think you are playing with fire. Has he ever said he has changed his mind about wanting to be married? Has he ever said he would be faithful? Has he ever truly valued you? He is teaching you too - that he can do all these things to you and you will still be loving towards him. You do deserve more. You do not deserve to have your nose rubbed in his infidelity by walking with him past EF's home - by seeing his hicky - by discussing his dates. WAKE UP! HE IS A JERK!

Anonymous said...

You have some great anonymous people commenting here. I #3 and came back to see another anonymous agreed with my statement. He may be a jerk, but he is the father of kids. No matter what happens, don't get and stay bitter. This will hurt your kids forever. If you do get back together with this guy set new boundaries and stick with them.