Monday, September 29, 2008

In Reply

I know-- I should be replying on the thread this all came from, but, once I started typing, I realized the reply was WAY too long, so I'll just post it here. Besides, there may be others who are confused.


In reply to (Anon #3): I think I've confused people, or else people are assuming things. Chris only SLEPT with one other woman- EF. He never said he loved her, and she knew he was married and with me. Somewhat surprisingly to some, he didn't tell her those things you suggested he said- both he and she (and the emails between them) have told me that. There was strictly physical attraction on his part, although she CONSTANTLY asked him to say those types of things to her and SHE SAID THEM. He never did.

He kissed and made out with other women, yes. Which is still cheating. But a one-night thing at the bar would NOT have him telling them he loved them and needed them to make his life better. So, no, he never told the 'other women' how much they completed his life. in that way, he wasn't cheating on the other women. Only on me.

(he *NEVER* had sex with a hooker-- I'm WAY confused as to where that came from!? If I alluded to that, I apologize for the confusion. But EW. no.)

Anon asked what my children will be seeing. They see him love me. They see him hug me. And hugs are something I'd want EVERYONE to have. My children will see, in spite of bad choices of their parents and everything we've done or said, that adults can get along. I have a FIERCE determination to show them how to forgive- and by not holding a grudge or saying snide comments, they will see that. They will see, in the future when they realize what their father did, that their mother rose above it. And I'm selfish and I want them to think of me that way. :) They'll know that they're loved, and that, no matter what we think of each other, Chris and I will be the BEST examples of a 'healthy divorce' that we know how to be. I know it's hard to understand, but we're doing everything 'right' according to the professionals AND MOST IMPORTANTLY ACCORDING TO US! And our kids will see that. I dated a man who is divorced who remained fairly close to his ex. I was too young to appreciate how difficult that would have been for them, but he and his ex are likely the examples *I* follow in my own divorce. Different situations, yes, but in general, a FAR better approach than the families who hate each other.

Anon#4, I'm not bitter. And I hope never to be. I know that sometimes I write things (and think things) that seem bitter-- but I hope that everyone knows that I'm not bitter. at least, *I* don't feel bitter. And you're right- he IS the father of my children.

Because of that, I will ALWAYS love him- as jerk-ish as some of his actions may have been, he is NOT the monster it's easier to believe him to be. We all know I loved him for a reason, and I'd like to think that in spite of my naivety or blindness or ostrich-syndrome as a 20-year old girl, that I saw the wonderful man and father he is and CAN BE the day I married him. I wouldn't EVER change that choice- I'd marry him January 13th, 2001 all over again even if I knew what was ahead.

When you love someone,
I mean, TRULY love them... you always love them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anon #4 replying yet again. When on June 12 you said he had had multiple affairs, I did indeed think he had slept with more than your friend - not that that isn't bad enough in itself. I think that perhaps he may have only kissed and fondled others, but I rather doubt it, if he was out to all hours of the night and imbibing. It would have been far easier to have sex with strangers than a friend of yours one might think. To be civil and polite, and friendly with ones' ex, for the sake of the children - going to school and important occasions and being co-operative for their sake is good. I do however, feel that socializing and acting married, when one is pursuing a divorce is sending messages to others, including your children, of boundaries that are being breached.
And I do fear that because you love him, you are building up false hopes for things to be different in the future - and perhaps, and I say perhaps, 'cause who knows but he, he may still feel like he always has - not wanting to be married, and not truly desiring to change.I too do not think it is good to be adversaries with an ex, but I do think there are healthy boundaries.

P.S. I also worry about your friend - sounds like he really could use more professional help.

Debbi said...

well, I know him. He has no reason to lie, and hasn't since I found out. I realize how stupid that sounds that I believe him. But there's no point for him to lie now.

I don't care what messages us socializing is sending to others. It's working for us. It's not just what he wants, but what *I* want. And it feels good, so I won't be stopping it unless that feeling changes. I care about me, Chris and my children's opinions only...

My children are spoken to honestly. Every question answered, every action considered.

No. I don't build ANYTHING up. My eyes are much more opened. And in some ways he DOES still feel like he always has. Who said he didn't?

my friend?? You mean the one staying here?

And thanks for your replies. I know mine sound curt or offensive-- I don't mean them to sound that way. I hope you can 'get' my thoughts in spite of my abrupt deliverance.

So@24 said...

Love the last line you had. A lot of people forget that