Friday, June 27, 2008

A Fallen Angel?

I have a dayhome kid here. We're calling her Angel. Which she is-- she's barely 1-year old, but walks and does stairs (fairly new accomplishment, so sometimes her way of "doing stairs" involves taking the family escalator...aka...falling). She is ALWAYS happy, she is probably 50 lbs of pure love and joy-- rolls on her rolls type of girl. She's probably THE sweetest babe I've ever met, and seriously doesn't cause ANY issues here. I've seen a lot of happy babies, but she takes the cake. It's easy to love her.

So, two days ago was a pretty warm day outside. My back door gets the sun for most of the day as you can see in this picture, so the kids were in and out of the backyard, playing. In and out, back and forth, filling cups in the bathroom to take outside and put water in a tub on the deck, getting snacks, adding said snacks to water tub to make a nasty paste of guck that I now get to clean up!...ew... etc.. being kids. Good thing they're cute and well behaved.

Angel is no exception-- in and out of the back door. So, when she stood at the kitchen table and cried and cried, it was odd. I was making lunch, so I figured she was ready for food and her nap, which were BOTH imminent. I let her cry-- there was nothing else I could do-- she needed to eat and sleep and I can't make the food cook any faster.

When I finally went over to her, I picked her up, and her crying continued. I put her on the carpet-- crying still. ??? this is odd. Finally, I forgo the lunch for her, give her her bottle and take her upstairs for her nap. It was the first day of her mother's request that I alter the formula ratio in her bottle, trying to 'wean' her to water at bedtime. So, when I changed her bum and put her down, she continued to cry and cry. Obviously she was SUPER tired. Wouldn't take her bottle, which didn't surprise me because it tasted oddly like water! lol Frustrated, she'd take a few sucks and then scream in anger.

I closed the door and went about the day.
*cue hours later*

She wakes, I pick her up out of bed. She's crying. ????????????? At this point, she should be 'better', but she's still crying. Bottle is done. I take her down the stairs, and put her on her feet at the bottom of the stairs onto my tile floors. She falls to her butt in what appears to be rage, continuing to cry.

Into the cupboard to feed her a snack/lunch that she missed. I grabbed one of these, and, standing at the pantry, offer it to her. She makes an attempt to get up to walk to me to get it, but on that instant, she cried out again.

AHHHHHH!! LIGHTBULBS GOING OFF!!!

Let's go back-- she had fallen down a few stairs earlier, as per her daily ritual. She falls down the stairs nearly once a day. Not the full set mind you, but a few, sometimes. And when she does, it's usually nothing of note.

So, instead of going to her, I stand there, offering her the paw, now with the intent to watch what's hurting her. She tries to stand, falls to the floor. So I walk over to her to investigate her leg, which I assume is hurt somehow.

I pick her up gingerly, and look at her feet first. Bottom up, is my method.

The verdict is on her feet, RIGHT in front of me...
One giant blister from her heel to the pad of her foot, recently popped when I stood her up at the bottom of the stairs, and only NOW I notice the 'water' in spray-form underneath her. Every toe is blistered.. EVERY one.

???? Blisters????? From what?!

Notice the sun beating through back door? What you may not notice is the metal threshold. Poor thing likely tried to step on it and burnt her foot so badly. I administer 'first aid' (hours late, but what do I know!?) and bandage it up. Then I have to tell her parents.

Gah. That bit the big one. They take her to the Doctor--- SECOND DEGREE BURNS!! :( I feel awful. I hope her parents don't hate me for life. :( Soooo bad of a dayhome mom.

So, in lieu of said accident, what am I up to today with my three imports??? We're buying a rug to place over metal threshold so this doesn't happen again. What I don't get-- why didn't any of the other 6 kids mention it was hot? Why did she keep her foot on that heated thing for so long-- as, because of the degree of burns, the Doc said it HAD to have been there for a while! :(

First first-aided issue at the dayhome. Let's hope it's the last for our little Angel, and let's hope it's not in the near future for someone, ANYONE, else!!!

3 comments:

Debbie Jo said...

OH dear Debbi. My heart goes out to you. My littlest brother, Lance, did pretty near the same thing. He was one year old, and we were out washing the cars. We owned a black station wagon. While we were out washing the other car beside it, he had managed to climb on top of the black station wagon to get a better look at us washing the car next to it. He stood there and cried. We figured it was because he couldn't get a good enough look. He'd stomp his feet in a rage! We thought it was because he was having a tantrum...so we normally ignored it. Then when we noticed his cries were now in the painful sounding stage, we lifted him up, noticing that the ENTIRE pad of his foot was a huge blister. Both feet!!! Oh my gosh, the guilt, the pain for him to feel. My own brother, I ignored his cries!!! I so feel your pain Debbi. hang in there. I hope that you and the sweet Angel are feeling better soon.

Unknown said...

ohhh myyyyy!!! Sad sad sad!!! But you didn't know, it wasn't your fault. That's sooooo sad though. I shared it with the mother of the 1 year old I babysit and she was shocked too. Poor Angel. POOR YOU!! Things will get better. Aren't you happy for the sunshine though?! :)

The Bullknitter said...

ooh, that's a tough one. Poor little thing. I hope the parents know you probably feel worse than baby's feet!