Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Mother May I?

Sucky.. I was thinking last night of a 'good' topic to write about for today, and even thought to myself that I could write it last night and 'skip' this morning's writing. Now, morning's come, and I've forgotten what topic it was. :(

I'm grateful for the opportunities I have to serve. Helping out a girlfriend by watching her kids so she can go on a date--- service? Not to me. But in truth, I guess it is. I would just do that for a girlfriend-- that's what girlfriends do! At least, the kind of girlfriend *I* am. I think maybe I'm slightly unique in this way, as other previous girlfriends of mine have taken advantage of this characteristic of mine and hurt me with it. Maybe that's why I'm a little skittish about making good girlfriends. Doesn't stop me from being that way, though.

Yesterday I spent some time perfecting my 'mother-skills'. I broke out a new craft for the kids, and we spent literal HOURS making fun things. It was really fun to watch them so engrossed in something for so long. I used to make these when I was a kid, and loved it.



It's good for me to take time away from cleaning the house or making a meal or typing a blog to actually TEACH and play with my children. It's something I need to be MUCH better at-- some parents have the natural desire to play with their kids, and I don't have that as much. I know I'm a good enough mom, but I don't think I'm good enough. You know? So, today, what's on the docket of excitement???

Anyone have any great KID-ORIENTED ideas that are FREE, educational, entertaining or spiritual?

1 comments:

The Bullknitter said...

When I had 3 little kids under the age of 3, we used to go for walks in Fish Creek Park and make "signs of spring" books. We went for the walk, came home and drew pictures of the robin, gopher, crocus, ladybug - whatever. I wish I had kept them now. You could use the digital camera to take actual pictures. My kids loved doing that. We still have contests to see who will see the first robin, gopher, ladybug etc.