Sunday, January 25, 2009

Issues Episodes: EF back in my life

(Written Thursday)

EF's been a person in my life since we met years ago. At that time, we were both young mothers with young kids in Soccer Camp. She was friendly and fun. Our kids got along well. And I ran a dayhome and she needed a new one.

It worked for the both of us. Money for me, security for her kids, relief for her. *Apparently, it also worked into a bang-buddy for Chris.* (cue bitter sentence end-- actually, who are we kidding? there's a lot of 'bitter' in this one. Get over it. and yes, I'm saying that to you AND me)

She became one of my closest friends. I saw her EVERY day. I grew to love her kids soooo much. I told her things I didn't really tell anyone else. I trusted her with so many facets of my marriage. Told her the bad, the good, and the great parts of Chris (*things she apparently needed to find out for herself?*) I confided in her in a way I don't confide in my friends anymore. I'm now afraid to tell my friends anything about my interactions with Chris. I can't vent, can't share ideas.

She has ruined friendships for me from the way they used to be. I have some INCREDIBLE friends. INCREDIBLE. But, at one time in my life, she was part of that list. Now I am too afraid that, just around the corner, another friend will slap me in the face as equally blatantly and painfully.

I bit off more than I could chew, and built a home I couldn't afford. We needed out of the house. EF wanted a bigger, nicer home.
Again, it worked out, and she and her hubby bought the BRAND-NEW, (beautiful, dream home) house that I lovingly built and designed. I didn't want to abuse or lose a friendship, so I charged her the EXACT price of the home we bought it for. No profit, although, we COULD HAVE made nearly 100,000$ if we sold it publicly. Nope. This just felt "right" to me.

I have always thought she was beautiful.
*Apparently, so did Chris.* She was on my list of people from yesterday's post I wanted to be like.

And when it all went unravelling in front of me, I missed her friendship dearly. I missed her kids. I missed seeing her daily. I hated driving out of my community, as I was FORCED to see my beautiful home with her inside. I couldn't get away from her, and I wanted to. But I didn't want to.

Then I dealt with a million pieces of shrapnel. I put what I could together, and discarded what I couldn't. Albeit scarred, I got better. Until I read Chris' journal, and found out that his disinterest in contacting EF was a lie. He wanted to see her again. To sleep with her again.

I told him to get out. We were done.



****
I have forgiven both of them. I have 'played' with her since. I have enjoyed being around her again. I have cried with her, and I look forward to having her back in my life.
Today, she could call. She could bring her children back into my home. I feel peace and joy when they're here.

She needs a friend. Someone who understands the situation and understands her pain. She needs me. I can't turn away someone who needs my help. I won't knowingly EVER do that.

If Chris is here, how do I know I'm not putting myself back at the same risk? How do I know she's telling the truth when she says she doesn't want to sleep with Chris? When he tells me he's sooooo done with that, how do I know he's telling the truth when he has already lied to me (albeit a long time ago) about his desire not to sleep with her? How do I know they're not currently sleeping together?! How can I deal with this constant paranoia, still have Chris in my life, and still have EF in my life?


*****
(written Friday)

Funny.
Today she called. Needed me to watch her son. And I was, of course, fine with that. Enjoyed the phone conversation, hung up, and proceeded to get all anxious again. WTF?!

I went and put on makeup. Obsessed over what pants to wear so I don't look fat. Obsessed over how to do my hair without making it look 'done'. Jewellery? No. Earrings? uh..too much. Then I cleaned. ANYTHING that could be seen from the front door.

Just.
to.
impress.
her.

To show her that I've got my crap together. That I'm doing well. That everything in my life is pretty and clean and put together. I even wiped the wood with wood-cleaner. So it was shiny.

Pathetic.
And then she arrived. And everything was good.

She'll be calling this evening to tell me if I'm watching her kids this week-- looks likely. Is this my subconscious "keep your friends close and your enemies closer" thing?!! I can't even tell you which side of that equation she's on!

Still, the funniest part about this all: WHO CARES IF THEY DO!? (have another affair)

Really...
The worst that could happen is that they have another affair. So? Good. Answers TONNES of questions quite permanently. I mean, what am I so afraid of? Losing Chris? (uh, do I WANT someone who'd willingly hurt me TWICE and abuse my forgiveness?! Besides. Big deal- I've lived without him once, I perfectly well know I'd be fine if I did it again!) Alternately, what, I lose EF? Big EF'n deal. LOL

So really. I'm dumb. He couldn't hurt me twice with an affair. I did so well in the first one, I'm not really afraid of any others. Not INVITING of others, but that's my biggest fear, and honestly, it's a dumb fear. If I *HAVE* to fear something, I should fear the unknown. Fear mighties. But fearing another affair?? Something I've been through and 'survived'?! That's just moronic.

8 comments:

genkibond said...

wow, how do you do that? How are you sooo honest with your feelings?
You bare it all emtionally, and I envy that.

deb@virginia blue said...

have I mentioned that I love you?
because I sooooooo do. and NOT just because our minds seem to think so eerily alike in so many ways or because we share the same name.

maybe it has a lot to do with your inner strength...and your honesty, as has already been pointed out by the above comment.

maybe it's because you've reached the point where you've endured enough that the "bring it on" attitude just comes naturally now...because you recognize what you've proven you're capable of handling (I can truly relate).

maybe it's because we were "besties" before we ever got here to this earth...

who knows?! I just love you.

holymotherofgod said...

...me too with the genki. And the debilyn. You roxxor

=)

Michelle said...

Oh my goodness. My dear it seems if you are setting yourself up for more pain. You will never be able to look at her and not feel slapped in the face all over again. You really need to cut her out of your life.
Why in the world would it matter what she thinks of you or your home? She is the one who cheated on her husband and your friendship. She is the one with something to prove, not you.
I have a bit of experience with this. My ex slept with my best friend. Repeatedly.
It sucks but the best thing you could do for your own mental well being is to cut her out permanently.

Carla McDaniel said...

Deb,
you are beautiful. you look great. you have a beautiful home and family. you don't need to compare yourself to anyone...especially her due to the situation you are in because of her. my advice would be to just be careful. be very careful having her back in your life. having said that, i do however know the feeling of missing good friendships when they are gone. i always find myself putting myself in situations that i could've avoided. i guess it's just wanting to have that approval feeling with everyone i come in contact with.

Erin said...

Very eloquent & thought-provoking, as usual :) I don't want to sound like I am over-simplifying a very complicated situation...

I think what you may be seeking/missing from EF is the friendship you had before all of the... drama? shall we say? Unfortunately, no one has a time machine & certain choices are character changing. They change who you are forever. It will likely never be possible again to have THAT friendship back...

It is similar to finding the "new normal" with Chris, except that you & Chris are married & have 3 VERY good reasons (ie. blessings) to try & work things out. You don't owe the same allegiance to EF. The chances are better that it will be more likely to slap the sunburn that hasn't healed (for goodness sakes, it hasn't even been a year since all this happened!! You keep talking like it is ancient history! Honey, you certainly can take as LONG as you need to heal from this - grieving doesn't have a time limit!) than to help any healing take place.

I think if you really want to work things out with Chris, you are wasting energy trying to "fit" EF into the equation too. We are all human. You will NEVER know again, like you did before the deception, that there is nothing going on.

You are EXTREMELY giving & that is an amazing trait, but these people do NOT matter more than YOU. You need to fill your bucket before you run out of "giving" for the people who REALLY need you (your family). Don't waste it on people who didn't value it like you did them. (did that make sense? lol)

Love ya.

Unknown said...

Debbi, that is deep shit...seriously. I don't even have words, 'cause it may sound like judgment. One thing for sure is you are trying so very hard to keep your childrens family intact. For that I give you kudos.

anymommy said...

Your honesty is really touching. I hope they are both as honest with you. Nothing about your feelings is moronic.