Friday, January 23, 2009

Issues Episodes: Weight loss




Trying to explain this one isn't easy. In fact, there's LOTS of people I know who struggle with weight. Lots of people who have lost weight, who have wanted to lose weight.

This isn't about that.
This is about fear.

I can't gain weight. I mean, I CAN, physically, but mentally, gaining weight would be the death of me.

Which is partly why I'm here today. Dying mentally.
First off- no, I am not bulimic. Someone asked that. Frankly, that's gross, and I like my teeth too much for that.
Secondly, I'm not anorexic. Cha. Right. I like food.

When I get sad, I eat. Junk. When I get sadder, I don't eat. ANYTHING. it's just not something I want to do, find joy in, or remember needs doing. Food is so-- so-- low on my priorities. Blah blah, I'm well aware of health risks associated with that. Blah. Tell that to my body, that LITERALLY dejects food that comes in more quantity than a few snap peas and maybe a glass of club soda. Yah. My diet for the past few days.

And yet. THAT diet, I am still the same weight I was on December 1st.

Worst of all, I have TRIED to "Make the Change". I am training for a marathon. I should have dropped a pound or 20 in the past 7 weeks.

Nope. not one. Not even 1/2.

1) it's winter. We all put on weight in the winter, as it's a primal reaction to the cold weather.
2) I changed birth control to a hormone-based IUD. no, I don't need birth control.. I like not having a period... or so they assure me will happen eventually.
3) I'm building muscle
4) I'm stressed
5) I'm not sleeping properly
6) my diet, although it's not horrible, isn't great

pick one. Let's blame the stubborn scale on that.

What number will make me happy? 130? 120? 100?

Alas. It's a number. I'm not dumb-- I know these things. But you don't get it. You don't' get what it mentally does to me. Am I obsessed with the scale? yes. I spent nearly 6 months being TOLD to be obsessed about what the scale said. Being judged based on what the scale said. I am STILL judged based on that scale... I am still on TV, I am still followed by people who want to know how my weight issues are going. In fact, the BIGGEST google-search word for this blog is "Debbie X-Weighted". So, naturally I'm a bit worried about it. I may have chosen to bring the TV show into my life, but I was unaware of what that all entailed. I did not think it would change the way I view weight-gain and weight-loss. I didn't think it would follow me so long after the airing.

And yes, I'd still do it again. I needed it. And I like the attention from others. I like that others felt inspired by me. I like that people are curious about how I'm doing today. I just don't like the pressure I put on myself.

Red Bull, Xendarine, ephedrine and caffeine are my vices.

Am I worth anything if I'm not thin and skinny and tight? If we stay together, my need to want to please Chris (and me) drives me to push myself to be a person I don't think I can PHYSICALLY ever be.

I think I'm pretty, I think I have a lot to offer mentally and spiritually and emotionally. Physically?

I need to keep up with Mrs. Jones down the street. To be thin like her. Thin like the girl beside me at church. Thin like my friend. My sister. My daughter.. PICK SOMEONE. I need to be thinner than me.

Do these pictures inspire me? -yes. Are they realistic inspirations? - somewhat. I made them for fun initially. But there's something much deeper there. I am thankful you don't see how I look at those photoshopped pictures. I am thankful you don't see how I look at myself in the mirror.

9 comments:

holymotherofgod said...

What we see and hear is a fantastic, strong, REAL, HONEST and INSPIRING woman. We all battle with this; you are not alone my friend. The deeper issues are the real marathon and the most rewarding race you'll ever run. Let's do some hurdles together =)

deb@virginia blue said...

First, I have the exact same issues when it comes to being really sad...or even moderately sad. Food just isn't a priority...so I totally get where you're coming from there.

Second, you and one of my sisters seem to have a LOT in common as far as the weight issues go. I know she really struggles with how she sees herself...all the time...and it takes a HUGE emotional toll on her.

Third, because of my experience dealing with the above statement, I know there isn't anything I can say that will make any difference in how you feel. Just know that I love you and I'm thinking about you!

Michelle said...

I really don't have much input here. I just wanted to let you know I am thinking about you and rooting for you!

Debbi said...

HMOG- thanks. I got your email, and appreciate it.

Debilyn- You are SOOO right in how nothing you say will make a difference. It's just the way it is.

Michelle- thank you.

Anonymous said...

I totally understand your frustration with not losing weight while running. I trained for a half marathon for the sole purpose of losing weight and after 4 months I did not lose a SINGLE pound. I was so disappointed, actually MAD is a better word. I couldn't believe all of that hard work did not pay off the way I wanted to. And I hated running. Pretty much every minute of it. Looking back 5 years later, I think it was a good experience and I'm glad I did it. It's good for the mind, and it was fun to train early in the morning with a dear friend. Stick with it, you won't regret it, even if you don't see the results you want. Just the feeling you will have as you cross the finish line will make it all worth it. I'm cheering for you!

Erin said...

Debbi! OMG!! So many of your "cryptic" posts in the last while suddenly make PERFECT sense to me!

I thought about sending you an email instead of posting it here, HECK - if I had your number I would be calling you right now!!

I feel though that this info might be able to help other people too so I am posting it here.

I have a close friend who was having the SAME issues as you - but coupled with the fact that she had just moved across the country away from her family, was blaming all of her anxiety, sadness, weight gain (& lack of ability to lose it), confusion, etc on the move.

UNTIL she ended up in the hospital with what appeared to her & her husband to be a heart attack! (She is 32 years old) - it was actually an acute anxiety attack & the hospital wanted her to have a psyche consult... ok, now she thinks she's crazy too! Then her HAIR STARTED FALLING OUT!! So, tired of not getting the answers to what was wrong - googled all of her symptoms at once...

IT IS YOUR IUD!! She had a hormone IUD put in to replace her copper one about 15 months before moving. She had already been experiencing the anxiety etc, but once they moved it all got worse.

You have to believe me! Google it! They are NOT good! The side effects are unbelievable! If you talk to your doctor, they will likely say it is all in your head - it is not!! There are hundreds of forums on the net of women experiencing the SAME thing you are right now!

She had her's taken out & is feeling completely herself again. She is still moved away, but is not having any of the issues she was having before...

I really think you should look into it...

All the best!

Erin said...

I just wanted to add that I know it doesn't explain the obsession with the scale... I feel your pain in that regard.
I am once again trapped in a group scenario where we all committed to lose weight & everyone is losing weight 3-5 times faster than me... I am crawling along at a snails pace while doing just as much work! Nothing makes me want to give up more!

So, I didn't want you to think I was belittling your body image issues - it is an ongoing battle for a lot of us, I think.

Nikki said...

Red Bull, Xendarine, ephedrine and caffeine are my vices.

Dude...If I was taking this stuff...I might be a tad emotional myself! I don't want to go preachy, I don't do it well, BUT, I want to remind me you of a very true doctrine. You have to dump the addictive stuff, when you do the promise will take effect: you shall receive health and marrow to your bones; wisdom, great treasures, knowledge, even hidden treasures; and Debbi shall run and not be weary and walk and not faint.
Love ya!

Kristina P. said...

Debbi, I think you're beautiful, but I completely understand your frustration. Weight is something I have struggled with my whole life.