Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Beating to my OWN drum

Apparently I'm a few days behind the 'cool-o-metre". The story of my life, I know. I'm either WAY too ahead of the cool-o-metre that it's NOT COOL YET (ie: Like, A YEAR OR TWO AWAY!) or I'm just barely behind it that I look dumb and slightly wannabe. Like when I wore fishnet stockings at 13. Which, clearly, are wonderful. But not at 13! Or, when I wore wedge and platform shoes in Japan in 1996. Which didn't arrive to Canada fashion until more recently. I'm still hoping that "slightly fat" is the trend on runways for 2009, and I'll have been a few years ahead of the trend then too!

You see, I'd like to think it's because I pick insanely wonderful people to surround myself with! They simply rock-

And they simply steal share all my ideas for blog fodder, like, a DAY before I'm 'scheduled' to air the so-called debut of my wittiness. :)

Which makes when *I* decide to post them a little.. uh... not as cool.

Like B-
After yesterday's song list, and my public disdain for Beyonce's music video, someone told me of THIS VIDEO. Which I love and vowed to share with the blogosphere! Which then ended up on B's blog yesterday! Now I can't share without looking like a follower. :) But B, you're sooo super cool for posting this. Cuz I sooo was gonna! So props out to BJo for sending me the link, and props to B for airing it!

So, instead I'll pick something no one else can share:
The anniversary celebrations last night.

Thankful to Auntie Kannie, Chris and I went out to dinner at Ruth's Chris Steak House. Which is SLIGHTLY keeping to our wedding/anniversary tradition of dining on our anniversary at the Calgary Tower. Calgary's Ruth's Chris Steak House (yah, say that 5 times fast) is located at the BASE of the tower. But still as expensive fancy as the TOP of the tower. We've eaten at the tower on our wedding night, and every year since-- last year being an exception as the tower was being remodelled and was closed for our anniversary.

First off.
What the heck is a "Chris Steak House". Not Chris's steak house. No, not that. Because the name of the restaurant clearly states that it's RUTH'S. It's her Chris Steak House. ???? I am still baffled at this one, and should probably google what the heck that is!

Food was "okay". Steak was phenomenal, but the side dishes (which are ALL ordered separately from your meat) are served for sharing. And frankly, I don't share.. :) What if I wanted the baked potato and Chris wanted the garlic mashed? Or I wanted the asparagus and Chris wanted the Broccoli Au Gratin -- (true story). We are lucky we both like garlic mashed. So we got that. And the broccoli, (although we possibly should have gone with MY desire and done the asparagus because the broccoli wasn't worth the plate it was served on IMO!) (oh, and *definitely* read the linkie there-- funny stuff, that Banterer)

But it was nice other than the drive there!

Story time:

The other day, Chris came home. Grumpier than grumpy from a bad day at work. As I'm making dinner, he proceeds (at my request) to talk to me about his yucky day. He gripes and complains as only a man does about people at work, and I listen intently. Lately I'm trying on the 'Good wife" hat and not giving my blasted opinion on everything he states. I'm simply LISTENING. (I know, don't fall off your chairs, in spite of my endless ramblings wordiness articulate nature on this blog, I CAN listen.)

He finishes his account of the crappy day.

I nod appropriately. And don't give him the MILLION OPINIONS and QUESTIONS and TWO-CENTS' worth of thoughts running through my head. The last thing he said was a statement. Not a question.
I answer, "hm."

*moments pass*

He gets up, obviously angry-like. (the chair flying across the floor may have slightly tipped me off!) (and I'm just kidding... for people who don't get my wonderful sarcasm! )
I ask what his problem is now?
He replies that I wasn't listening.


*?!?!?!?!!?!?!*

score:
Chris' grumpy mood= exponentially increased
Debbi's new 'listening' hat= fail


New Story:

Yesterday, on our way to the tower, we're stuck in traffic because of the Hockey game. Chris tells me of his conversation with his new counsellor he met with earlier in the day.
*I*, being the good wife who is afraid for her life if she doesn't learns quickly, listens for the appropriate amount of time.

AND THEN I COMMENT!
(see? I learned that that "hm" from previous conversations doesn't cut it. I'm smart like that)
I start the most thought-provoking, wonderfully engaging conversation that scholars will soon be knocking at my door! I'm profound! I'm intellectual!

And I'm SHUT DOWN!

He is unimpressed with my comment. Dismisses it with a 'well, whatever" when I say I disagree with a CONCEPT of the conversation and continues to tell his opinion.

THIS was a moment for the 'hm.'

Score:
Chris' need for a sounding board: increased
Debbi's new life-lesson that Chris wants conversation: fail

THANKFULLY, the tears of feeling like I can't win don't fall. I swallow my pride and the huge lump of crying in my throat. Instead, I wait until I've calmly gone over the conversation I need to start A MILLION TIMES IN MY HEAD before I mention my frustration.

And thankfully, we've determined the "What do you think" question is in need. Without that question, I will wear my shiny hat. WITH that question, all hail the life-lesson! (PS: there is stipulation that, should said question arise, that there is NO getting upset over what words ensue to spew out of my head! muahaha)

Aside from those two stories, the bad broccoli, and the let-down cheesecake for dessert (CLEARLY, only order the steak- save your wallet AND your disappointment for other things) it was a nice night. We enjoyed each other. We spoke NOTHING of year 9. Or even of next month.

Because I need to just "BE" today. Besides, if I think too far ahead, I get all 'flustrated' at the piles of laundry awaiting while I blog!! :)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bad broccoli? That's just nasty. And sad, since I'm with you - the asparagus probably would have been the safer/yummier choice... And boo on the cheese cake, too. :( That's not a nice way to end an OK dinner!

But I do like your new hat. xo I have one similar to yours, that actually has bells on it, so I can monitor how much "head shaking" I do when I'm (pretending to) working on just listening. It's amazingly effective! (If not disburbingly distracting....)

Debbi said...

no the broccoli was "meh" like everything else-- not BAD, but nothing worth the price!!!! If I pay that exorbitant amount for a plate of broccoli, I'd like to get more than 4 florets for a "sharing" plate!!!!

Cheesecake was.. uh. Average.

I like your hat. Sounds spiffy like mine!

deb@virginia blue said...

and men think WOMEN are complicated!!!!

**hugs**

Debbi said...

I know, hey!? :)
Hugs back. From your post, sounds like you need them more today.

And you're gorgeous. Ignore what you THINK the mirror says. It's wrong.

Unknown said...

My ex-husband and I ate @ the tower also...filet mignon, I believe, and all I could think about was horses. Plus I almost vomited from the rotating movement of the restaurant.

Andrea

Anonymous said...

fewww .. sorry about the broc I always go fro the apsrigus(sp) anyway your right about the name what is that? by the way where'd you get the hat.... I may need to borrow it mine say's I don't listen either LOL

Debbi said...

Andrea: it's just tradition. That rotating panorama thing isn't all it's cracked up to be after the first time and you 'find your house'. lol And horses? ew.

Klynch: I actually KNOW someone (IRL) that's named Kay Lynch. Cool, hey? ;) Your little butterfly is cute, though!

genkibond said...

ummmm.
were those your legs?
woweeeeee!

B said...

Sorry I ruined your post for the day. I didn't even know you read my blog! Someone just emailed me and told me to check out three blogs who linked to me because of that dance post. I'm feeling so superstarish right now. And, does this mean you are heading over to Beck's to put the moves on?

Debbi said...

Genki: Uh. Yah. Totally! Mine. uh. yah. *cough*

B: No worries. As you should (feel superstarish! Three links is bigger than *I*'ve ever been!)

It's funny-- lots of people we mutually follow *or mutually follow us* link the two of us, yet, I don't think I know who you are. Although, you know everyone I know. Weird how that works.

Oh, and YAH! I'm already wearing my spandex.

(and fishnets. That goes without saying! ;) )

B said...
This comment has been removed by the author.