Friday, January 30, 2009

Issues Episodes: Fighting the Help

I hate taking Tylenol. I hate taking ANY drug.

So the thought that this could be a chemical imbalance freaks me out.

I've had depression before. I got help then. It took a few months of struggling with KNOWING I needed drugs, but being too afraid to ask for them. What if I couldn't 'convince' the Dr. I needed help? What if he didn't believe me? What if I was just overreacting to having a new baby and I was simply tired? What if it was just a stressful few months?

But what is it about admitting that you need drugs for a mental reason that has such a horrible stigma attached to it. I'm going clinically crazy!? I can't control the thing that's supposed to control me? I talk to myself?! (okay, honestly, I DO. And I like it. So what?!) I got help. Because I needed drug intervention.

I am not sure that what I have *today* constitutes as 'drug-worthy'. What if it's just the season? Just the time of the month? Just EVERYTHING else in these 'Issues Episodes'? What if it's not chemical. What if it's simple emotions? It's like asking for a blessing when you don't 'need' one. Misplacing a shoe doesn't require God's intervention (usually), so why would a silly emotional roller-coaster warrant medical attention?


No. Instead, I'm going to start from the inside. And by 'inside', I mean diet.
The book I'm reading, The Thrive Diet (by Brendan Brazier) has me all excited for next week.

I don't know enough yet, and I'm only on the first few chapters of the book, but this book is EXACTLY on par with my feelings on diet and exercise. The things said thus far make so much sense to me.

I'm not saying things will all just pop up roses and lily pads once I change my diet. But it's a start. From there, I'll take the next step.

In the process of getting these 'issues' out, I've actually been able to feel a LOT better. They don't go magically away once I pen them, but they're not festering inside me anymore. Now that this is the last "Issues Episode".. at least, for the scheduled program part...I've thought of replying to your comments, but instead, I'll just put that every comment or personal email to me was greatly appreciated. I feel supported and loved, and I am thankful for your expressions of compassion and concern. So thanks.

There.
That's me condensed into a week of posts. Me inside the deepest fears and thoughts of my head. Nothing held back in these posts. Besides, that would have made the whole process futile.

Now we'll go back to silly, fun, and slightly neurotic posts! ;) okay, I'll probably come back to these issues once in a while-- most likely! ;)

9 comments:

Call Me Cate said...

I'm glad you feel getting everything out has helped. Sometimes, even though I know something is bothering me, until I make myself put it into words I can't get a handle on it.

Me, I'm not afraid of pills. Lots of medical stuff over the years and refusing pills would've been a bad idea. I'm probably TOO quick to jump to pills, actually. And yet, when my anxiety was completely out of control, I refused pills for it. The idea of a "mental" pill was beyond my grasp. No way, I'm not crazy, I can fix it on my own!

In the end, I did get a prescription and it's worked wonders for me. I'm sorry I resisted so long. It's not the solution for everyone but in my case, it's been my saving grace. I really hope you can find relief through diet but when you feel like you've tried everything and can't reach a solution on your own, don't be afraid to ask for help.

Michelle said...

I hate taking meds too. Yuck.

I have taken antidepressants in the past. They just mess me up worse.

Good luck with the new diet! I really hope it does what you want it to.

Kristina P. said...

I could have written this post!

I have worked in the mental health/substance abuse field for a long time, and I have seen the effect of medication from both sides. There are people who NEED to take meds to live a healthy life. And there are a lot of people who abuse them.

I am OK with taking Tylenol, but I used to not even want to take that!

Beauty of Expression said...

http://www.brendanbrazier.com/book/index.html

Thought you might wanna watch that.

I am so excited for you. I know how great I feel on this diet, and how it has balanced out my moods and allowed me to find my inner vibrancy again. You are even now releasing your feelings by talking about them..just writing them down and sharing them gives release to them. I love watching you..You are like a closed flower slowly opening...What a beautiful thing to be a small part of. Once you start working on yourself from the inside out- you will be surprised how much clarity, and insight about these issues, you will have.

Love to you. You are a beautiful soul..about to embark on an amazing adventure...I know this cause I am on it too!

If you ever have any questions about your diet, supplements, or new emotions that are arising from your change in food intake, I am here to assist in any way I can.

Unknown said...

Nobody else but you will know what the right thing for you to do is. Unless you go right off the banana boat...but I don't think you're quite there yet;) I used to be one of those people who would say to others about antidepressants: "I would do ANYTHING other than medicate myself". Mmmmhmmm. And now I stand with my foot in my mouth. Never say never. Never feel shame because you can't just "fix it". Never let anyone else decide how you should be fixed. Just because someone else had an adverse reaction to medication does not mean you will. It just means that a particular medication was not the right one for them. Two years ago my fucktard doctor gave me an antidepressant to try. NOW I know that the dose was waaaay too high, and I had an adverse reaction. That frightened and determined me to never take medication again. And that chain reaction of decisions nearly cost me everything. I now have a wonderful doctor who has worked with me and my fears...and I take an antidepressant that works for me. Because sometimes, my dear, we all need help. Explore, ask questions, and experiment...as long as you never give in, you will find whatever avenue is right for Debbi.

Anonymous said...

You need to think things over if you really believe it is wrong to ask for a blessing when you don't need one and that, "misplacing a shoe doesn't require God's intervention." What constitutes as need? Just wanting one means you should ask. Not that I want to be preachy, but perhaps you should re-examine your relationship with God, in whatever form that takes for you.

Debbi said...

anon,
I dont' think you got what I said. Where did I say it was WRONG to ask for a blessing when you need one? I ask for blessings all the time when I need or want one.-- there's posts about me asking for blessings IN this blog, if you searched.

I didn't say I 'need' a blessing, I was likening misplacing a shoe as a silly (IMO) reason for one. I also put the 'usually' after it because some peoples' ideas for what constitutes a need are different than mine. Sometimes you really may NEED/WANT a blessing for a misplaced shoe, although, the relationship I have with God (*that I am QUITE happy with), doesn't warrant me being that type of person. I'm a move-your-feet first type of girl.

So@24 said...

What about NyQuil? That's my favorite drug to take.

And it's the only thing in the world that tastes like "green"

Anonymous said...

Hey

I am becka's sis in-law, and I have noticed I know some of the same ppl as you (i.e kilistoff's) but I have been reading you blog daily for like over 6 months. LOVE IT! But I just wanted to say that I LOVE how bold you are, and you say things on your blog I only wish I had the courage to say. I have extremely bad post-partum, and it was a HUGE struggle for me to go onto meds, I go to a support group and I knew I needed it I finally did, and it helps alot, but this post made me also think.... what else can I do in my life to help my body perform its best? and made me think of my deit. I think I might have to get this book! anyways long post. finally decided to de-lurk after wanting to de-lurk a long time ago