Tuesday, July 22, 2008

My Two Dads

I ran last night.
And I'm paying for it today--
my KNEE KILLS!!!!! :(
It WAS nice to have THREE new walkers with us last night. I think we scared one away-- but she doesn't get off that easily. One of these days, she'll decide that push-ups aren't toooo horrible, hey Ally? The conversation when we have new girls is always a bit muted, but in a few more days, things'll be back to the crazyness that they usually are. Love it.

On other notes, Chris met with the Tim Horton's mediator yesterday. He said it is a 'meeting to have a meeting'... well, how nice we're wasting EVERYONE'S time! lol He said she seemed a little surprised that we had talked about certain things that, apparently, not many couples talk about. One being how long after dating someone do you expect the each other to wait before introducing the children to the new person? Chris and I talked about that a while ago. (in case you care, our mutual decision was 6 months)

But Chris said there was only one thing we have never discussed... what does any future spouse get called by the kids? Is 'Dad' and 'Mom' a title reserved solely for Chris and I? My opinion is that no child ever died by having two Dads, or two Moms. That, the new person would be called whatever the kids wanted to call them... by name? By Dad? By whatever THEY wanted. I mean, let's look at it this way: Mimi will have only lived with Chris for the first two years of her life. If I remarry in, let's be totally unrealistic, even a year, she'll have 16 years until adulthood with a new 'father-figure' in her home. Do I expect her not to love him like a father? Absolutely not. I have no problems having Chris' future wife (if so be the case) called Mom because that only means good things to me; my kids are comfortable enough with her to call her that, she's earned that name with them, and they feel loved by her like a mother loves her children. Really, I don't lose.


Okay, gonna share, but I don't really expect people to care.
(ooh, I'm a poet, and don't know it!-- haha, yah, really mature Debbi! lol)

Chris makes a point of telling me 'I have a date'. Like, I've asked him to come watch the kids while I have an appointment tonight. He made a point of telling me that he's on a date tonight, but he'll try to move it up so he can get over here. My opinion?? Uh, why does he have to tell me it's a date?? This is a CONSTANT ocourance. Last night I also heard about a date he was on, and it wasn't like I asked him about it-- not even in the slightest!! But he needs to tell me about his dates. Quite frankly, I'm finding this somewhat juvenile. First off, if I was on a date, I wouldn't be telling him about every single one. And really, this isn't an isolated event-- he tells me about his dates that are either planned or have happened all the time. I don't ask. I've learned from one past experience that I don't want to know (and neither do I NEED to know, nor is it my business). In comparison, I told him a while ago about a date that's 'set up' in a few MONTHS (once paperwork is likely done) as my "first" date single... and he says, "I have an opinion about that". I just giggled to myself, and, bravely, ask him what it is. This could be good. :/

He doesn't say. So I reassure him that I ASKED for his opinion, 'go ahead and let me know what you're thinking.' "no no, I can't say". As if it's all polite of him to keep it to himself. Uh.. didn't HE bring up the fact that he HAD an opinion!? lol Yah, that's mature: I have an opinion, I'm gonna TELL you I have an opinion, but when you ask me about it, I'm gonna act like I don't want to tell you my opinion! lol So, instead, I drop it.

I could tell that bothered him. (Almost as much as it's bothering me, but in a different way). I also know that that isn't the end of that conversation. I will not be asking again. But I KNOW, the day that he knows that date is gonna happen, I'll hear his opinion. And it'll bother me and ruin the date. Soooo, I won't be telling him about it. Which is weird to most people, because most of you would have decided that long ago. Not me. I don't keep secrets. So this'll be a new 'leaf' in my relationship with Chris- I know. I'm slow like that.

3 comments:

genkibond said...

I'm lucky. I speak 2 languages.
I speak "man (guy language)" and I'm also fluent in "woman (girl language)".
It's interesting to me that you seem to be fluent in those 2 languages as well.

You're right, he's not telling you about his date, or mentioning his opinion just for the sake of communication. He's got purpose, wants to mess around with your head. As a native guy language speaker, I can confirm that translation.

genkibond said...

Being in a blended family, I may have some insight here.

The moment that all you 2 share is the bond of co-parenting, he gives up any right to tell you what goes on in your household.

When I first lived with my bonus-kid, bonus-kid had the right to call me whatever he felt comfortable with. The sperm donor's opinion on the issue, while duly noted, did not matter. Bonus-kid's feelings were all that counted.

Debbi said...

whew, glad to know I'm not losing my native tongue-- and that I seem to have retained most of my "man" tongue too. (haha, that came out WAY worse than it was meant)

It's lucky for me that Chris agrees with the whole "mom/dad" name thing though.