Monday, May 25, 2009

I May Not Be American

Yes, it's Memorial Day in the USA. And, no, I'm not American.

But, I figure that a post about this weekend is in line with the whole 'remembering lost loved ones', seeing as that's what I did.

Saturday I drove out to Edmonton with my sister and nephew. Driving up there, might I just say, is NOT fun. I would rather drive to Lethbridge, which is pretty much the same distance (a tiny bit less) than up to Edmonchuck. Really. Something about that drive is BORING!

We stopped in Red Deer, where my big brother is buried. I've never driven to the cemetery, so I had NO idea how to get there. But my sister had, once or twice, and so we went PURELY off her 'spidey senses'. She claimed she could feel it in her 'guts'. gross. people shouldn't feel the way to a cemetery in their guts. Amazingly, she was exactly right. We got to the cemetery, and she was so excited to see it! "There it is!! Dead ahead!!". I gave her the 'har har' look, and she realized what she had said.Graveyards are pretty cool to genealogists like us. We looked at other people's epitaphs, at their birth and death dates, speculated over who was buried beside whom, (of course, made fun of those less fortunate whose names sounded funny!) and took a few more pictures. Found a few tombstones of people that may or may not be in my family line (the Barber side), so I'll be looking those up today online. FUN!

Off to Edmonton, where we joined up with Kiki and Ken and my BFF MC, and went to the Relay For Life. There was a luminary 5K run in my cousin's name, so we were happy to go support my family and remember him. We also remembered other family members that were affected by cancer. There were deeply moving moments where I choked back a tear or two, but it was a SUPER experience, and one I would HIGHLY recommend. Next year, I plan to join the relay part.

1 comments:

EmmaP said...

very cool! i would be like you in the cemetery too... wait I HAVE done that! lol! and i did the relay last year. this year i can't fit it in my schedule, but look forward to it again next year. btw, my word verification in here is MadJude. sounds like a cool username or a name for a rockband or something.