Friday, May 22, 2009

How Do You Eat An Elephant?

The indispensable first step to getting the things you want out of life is this: Decide what you want.
~Ben Stein

I find it interesting that I had those two dreams the other night, before being faced with a few choices the next day (or two) later.

Right now, I feel like there's two distinct choices in my path. I guess, technically, there's more than two, but I don't really like to entertain any of the others. Two choices I can live happily with. Two choices that get me to my goal in the long run.

How do you pick between two choices where neither of them are exactly what you wanted? They're both GOOD choices, not being better than the other. If both choices get you to the end result, but in a different path altogether and seemingly not too different of a time-period, but both have aspects that don't appeal to you, what do you choose?

And, when other things (like Chris losing his job) happen in the background, is Someone trying to show me a path I don't recognize? Is it coincidental that I've had the same Sunday School class THREE times (which, NEVER happens) in the past month? What is the message Someone is trying to get through to me? Or, how I don't EVER remember my dreams, and then I'm given these two dreams on one night RIGHT before a few things change my perception of 'future'?

How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time, right? So, I'm taking things one step at a time, one week at a time, one month at a time. I would believe the easy answer is to ask God in prayer and follow the promptings of the Holy Ghost. But in all honesty, I believe that this HAS been asked. And that I've gotten to the point where Heavenly Father wants me to use my agency. To make a decision based on what others know, on what my Bishop councils and on what will eventually make me happiest in the end. I believe that neither choice will disappoint Him.

I will be getting a blessing. Some things shouldn't be left to my determinations.

7 comments:

genkibond said...

this thought helps me too, beleive it or not.

holymotherofgod said...

I'm cutting down on elephant. I found it gave me gas.

=)

Threes are very important and so are repeating dreams. Try to listen to what is being said to you in these forms. Sometimes things are hard to hear which is why we're told a few times more!!

Grand Pooba said...

So are you going to enlighten us on what 2 decisions you have to make? I'm dying here.

Alison said...

It sounds like it's on the verge of all clicking together for you. That is exciting/intimidating I'm sure! It will all work out with this frame of mind. And yes, I'm taking notes ;)

Ryan Ashley Scott said...

It seems like things always get harder before they get better. Maybe "better" is right around the corner. Or "easier" at least?

EmmaP said...

well - true. you cant eat an elephant all in one bite. but you can certainly wash it down with some yummy diet coke to make it go down smoother... hahaha. you are doing the right thing by helping the "bites" by "washing them down" with prayer and blessings, and pure pondering. the fact that you're questioning, asking, praying, searching, seeking, etc... is all good. He will not lead you astray so long as you continue to do this.

Anonymous said...

k this post totally spake to me, i needed to make a few choices in my life and didn't know where to start! thank you!