Thursday, July 23, 2009

Mom's Week Off

Being without my kids for the week is taking its toll.

Firstly, it's awesome.
I got to sleep-in yesterday (as sleep-in as 8 am is... and for me, that's 2 hours!), and once the dayhome kids go home, I am FREE to do what I want (any old time?). I don't have to make dinners, my house is staying pretty dang clean (not that anyone's asked for a showing this week, which is both a relief because I don't have to leave and also a pain because that means it's not being sold and just FIGURES since this is the EASIEST time for me to show the place), and there's NO responsibilities to keep me at home at night.

So, last night I went out with Becka.

We went shoe shopping, and AMAZINGLY, found the shoes I was looking for for the wedding! The right colour, the right heel, everything perfect. Nice.
And we headed out for dinner after with Lena to The Olive Garden. Which, by the way, was soooooo yummy!

But, to my surprise, my kids came with me. Oh, every few minutes I'd end up thinking "Oh geez, it's getting late and I have to get back to relieve the babysitter" or "Chris is gonna be mad that I've been out so long, he probably wants to go home" or something along those lines. I'd actually have to TRAIN myself NOT to think about them and enjoy the night out.

We got home fairly late after traffic issues and going downtown to drop off dinner for Becka's working hubby, and it was odd to walk into an empty house that late at night. Not bad. Just... odd. The doors to their bedrooms have remained closed (so they don't get messed up by dayhome kids) and last night it was so hot, I opened every door and window to get some cross-breezes goin' on. Their little beds are still made. Their rooms SMELL like them. (remind me to give those bedrooms a bath! ;) )

And then I chatted with Will on the phone.

And my kids were there.

During the conversation, I had to remind myself that the kids weren't going to be overhearing anything I said. That I could talk 'loudly' and not worry about waking anyone up. Although, it's a relief to be able to have a full-blown conversation with someone and NOT be interrupted at least once with "MAAAHWHHHWMMM, soandso is looking at me!"




It is very odd not having them here. I had them alllll last week by myself, and I'll have them alllll next week to myself too. I'm enjoying my week-off, getting stuff done and relaxing. But it sure is empty, and peaceful quiet and a nice home-cation.

6 comments:

Jillene said...

It's funny how we look so forward to time away but we always end up thinking about them and missing them!!

Unknown said...

I always pine over my kids when I am away, when I see anything neat I think, "Oh they would love that!" ..but then when I get home and her them fighting or whining I think....man, I am gald I had that time to myself!

Anonymous said...

I go through the same thing. My kids are gone for a week with their dad and home for a week. Its nice but at the same time SUCKS!

JennyMac said...

sleeping in..shoe shopping..sounds divine. But I know what you mean. When our munchkin is gone for a day I miss him. When he is here letting me know everything i am doing wrong (he is 2) I think, don't you want to live with Grandma? LOL.

EmmaP said...

funny! maybe you'll get some showings this weekend...

girls night outs are my favs!!! love the olive garden too!

Anonymous said...

A break is always nice! Enjoy!