Monday, July 13, 2009

Suddenly, I'm Craving French Loafs of Bread

So, this weekend was so much fun!

Will and I headed out on Saturday morning, and decided to just have a fun "date-day", no kids, no schedules, no plans. Thankfully, he brought his Rollerblades, and so we drove downtown to blade through Prince's Island Park. It was funny, Will hadn't been on his Rollerblades in YEARS, so it was hilarious to watch him nearly biff it once. I'm sure the passing cars enjoyed the visual too. We had a lot of fun, although our feet were sore by the time we decided to go back to the car! Totally, the best part of the day!

Then we drove up to Peter's, shared a milkshake, onion rings and burger. And HOLY CRAP I love Peter's. Forget the exercise, I think PETER'S was the best part of the day! ;)

We headed back to the Stampede grounds, and after finding parking (not the easiest to do on the last Saturday of the Stampede), we got into the gates. Walked around a bit, taking in the million smells and sights. We went on this one ride, The Skyscraper, where they strap you in nice and tight and then spin you around a massive circle at 4Gs! Will and I were screaming and laughing our heads off, and, suspended 160 ft in the air was exhilarating!!
It topped ANY ride I had ever gone on with ANYONE, and was DEFINITELY the highlight of the day, as everywhere we went you could see that ride and we'd just laugh and remember how fun it was.

My favourite part of the Stampede is the agricultural buildings with the goats and animals, so we headed into the buildings to check out the huge horses and uh...cows and sheep.

And, of course, to defile the livestock!

At one point, we left the buildings, and ended up slightly outside the grandstand where the chuckwagon races are held. We found some bleachers there, and decided that since we were both tired and fighting off a bit of a headache, we would sit there for a bit.

I sat on the bench in front of him, leaning up against his knees. Although it was getting later in the day, and slightly cold, when Will asked if I wanted to go get his coat from the car, I declined. It was too nice to sit and I didnt' want to walk all the way back to the car. We were playing with our little mood rings, and he had mine and I had his. It was awesome, we got to see some horse-pull teams come RIGHT in front of us to 'warm up', and just chilled on that bench for a while. I was holding Will's hands, on his lap, which was kinda behind my back, when I gave Will back his ring. He put mine back on my finger, and we sat there for a while just holding hands. He must have been getting cold, though, as he was starting to shake when he pulled out his camera, and we took this HORRIBLE photo.

Then, he let go of my hand, and I saw his hand.

There were two mood rings on his hand: his.. and... MINE?!!!!!

That's when it clicked in!
I looked at my hand.

He was already on his knees behind me, and said "I've talked with your Dad, and he thinks it'd be a good idea if you said you'd marry me. All you have to do is say when and say YES!"

Of course, I said "It's about Freaking Time!" And then. after saying yes, we kissed and I fought back tears. We talked about how he had tried to talk to my dad a FEW times, we talked about when, we talked about how his kids helped him pick the beautiful ring and gave him suggestions on "how" to propose in a fun way.

We're ENGAGED!!!!!!! I am sooooo freaking excited!!!!!!!

It was soooo fun telling our kids. His daughters were so excited, Em especially. When we told MY kids, LL was screaming and soooo excited!

My brother and sister are both getting married at the end of Summer, within a week of each other. And seeing as all my siblings will be there, we figure it's easiest to just plan our wedding around that time, when everyone can make it already.

So, although we're not decided on a DATE yet, we have two dates in mind. I'll keep you updated! For now, I'm gonna have to admit that getting engaged was DEFINITELY the best part of the day! And, of the year.

Engaged on July 11th. Oh Thank Heaven, for Seven Eleven! ;)

29 comments:

mskaz said...

OH.MY.GOSH!

Congrats to the both of you!

Dorienne said...

I second that mskaz! That is AWESOME. Once you were mentioning the ring switching, I was placing all my bets on a nice new shiny one! HOW AWESOME. How on earth did I miss not seeing the ring on Sunday?

Unknown said...

Can't.
Stop.
Smiling.

Cyndi said...

Ok that picture of Will's arm in the cow is very disturbing!! LOL

Congrats babe!

deb@virginia blue said...

you've got me crying over here!!!...I'm so unbelievably happy for you :)

I think it was absolutely providential that I ended up in blogland TODAY, after not venturing in for so long...

obviously I was feeling the pull from my parallel Deb!!

xoxox

Grand Pooba said...

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

That is awesome! I'm so dang excited for you! That ring is gorgeous, much better than the mood ring lol. That was so cute how he just slipped it on your finger and you didn't even know.

Congrats!!! You two look so happy in those pictures, you're perfect together!

(Love the picture of the balls, I mean cow)

The Bullknitter said...

Wow, congratulations. I wish both of you all the best.

Brandi said...

wow! yay! so happy for you two!!

i also loved the picture of the sheep from behind, hehe...your blog just got promoted a couple notches in my world :)

Organic Meatbag said...

Congrats! I wish you two all of the best!

M said...

Ohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh!!!!!!! How can I be so excited for someone I have never met in person!!!! Congrats!!!!

Cheryl and Bob said...

Congrats Debbi! That's fantastic!

Michelle said...

Congrats!!! I never thought I could be so excited for a strangers happiness. I am over the moon for you!

Kare said...

Love ya bunches, honey... and you know I just can't tell you how happy I am for you!!! xoxoxo

Joanne said...

I am lovin' your blog Debbi and now this fun news- WHAHHHHH HOOOOOO for you!

patty said...

Many congratulations on the two !!!!!

My Many Coloured Days said...

YEAH!!!! SO happy for your happiness. I was reading and when you mentioned about the mood rings I re-read for a minute because it was such a small detail for a larger detailed post, and I was thinking, "Why'd she throw that in?!" LOVE IT! So you now have a date to pick along with the vehicle and house!!! Congrats.

Nikki said...

SOmeone you don't even know, phoned to tell me you were engaged! That's how far reaching your blog is lady.

I'm so happy for you both! Congrats again and again!

Unknown said...

i'm invited, right?

i think it's amazing...we have all seen how much you and the tone of your blog has changed since meeting Will. it has been an awesome transition to be a part of. thank you.

fate has given you a beautiful gift, my friend.

i am so very happy for you.

andy:)

Unknown said...

For real reals?????

CONGRATULATIONS!

What a great weekend, girl..and the ring is gorgeous!!!

Hailey said...

HOLY FREAKING CRAP - THAT is the BEST news ever!!!! I am *pee myself excited* for you both!!! Congrats - AND beautiful ring....and fabulous guy....when I told Brent that you were engaged, he said "to the squeal guy?" (remembering the crab story I HAD to tell him after you posted it). HAHA

Anyways - I love you soooooo much!!! And am sooooo excited for you all - this is pure perfection! Can't wait for details!

congrats again! *squeal*

Erica said...

I am a blog stalker and have read about your ups and downs (Alison and I are best friends) and I'm THRILLED to hear your awesome news. Good things DO come to those who wait. Enjoy every minute of it!!
P.S.Thanks for sharing so much and allowing some of us to feel that we aren't alone in our relationship struggles.

EmmaP said...

ok, i was gonna make a smart-alecky-remark about how the sheep was Korean, cuz he was "Hung-Lo"... but then i read the bit about the ring and was CRYING!!!!! CongratS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alison said...

awwwh!! yay!!! sooo happy for you. you deserve every happiness in the world. couldn't be happier that your cbff status days are now officially numbered!!! haha :D love you hun :)

Kat said...

By far your bet post!!!!!
speechless and so happy for you:)

Annelie said...

You guys always put such a smile on my face, and today, more so than ever! So happy for the both of you!
Congratulations!!!!!

It is so great to see you happy! You totally deserve it!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh!!!!!!! Congratulations!!!!!!!!!

Amy Silva said...

Congrats, Debbi! I'm so excited for you. I've never checked out your blog before, but I truly enjoyed the light reading tonight. :) I'm so happy to see life is going so well for you.

Megan said...

AAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!

Congratulations!!!

What a fun way to get engaged!

=D

zipbagofbones said...

Belated Congratulations to you and Will and your gorgeous new blended family! Sorry I'm so behind, gosh where have I BEEN?! The ring is stunning