Thursday, April 9, 2009

And if anyone tries to tell me how much of a bad mother I am, I'm so ready to open a can of something on their sorry butts!

I know, I haven't blogged a whole lotta anything lately.

So here it is. A long one. Be warned. And it's also slightly venting- so, skip ahead to the comments and leave some non-related lovely thoughts because I'm in a blahghgh mood and wouldn't want to ruin your otherwise happy day should you read this horrible monologue.



I had bad-mom night. I kinda had bad-day yesterday in general.

First off, it started off perfectly fine. In truth, it was AWESOME. I took three kids to the passport office, highly anticipating a long couple-hour wait in a line of decrepits. (no clue why I think only scary, dirty people go to passport offices-- just some stupid ignorant thought I have. Don't tell me I'm ignorant. I know)

Lucky for me, I walked right into the office, the ONLY person there. I was in and out of that government building within 5 minutes. Which is sweet, because as I walked out, 5 different people walked in. Of course, they were all regular people decrepits. And I'm sure I was minutes away from catching West Nile or something airborne. (It's my story. I'm gonna go with it my way.)

But, that was the end of my daily allotment for good things.
I did not find a specific item I was looking for to give to Will for his birthday next week. Looked in three different stores. Have bought it before. Annoyed that it is now 'MIA'. So, I'm taking suggestions for gifts for the most awesome dude ever, whom I've dated for a little over 2 months, and whom I plan to date for a long time. Let's add sentimental, not too cheap, but not ridiculous either. You know. That type of gift. Let the ideas flow.

And I miss Will. He's gone on vacation until next week... and going from talking EVERY DAY FOR 2 MONTHS TO NOTHING IS SUPER SUCKY STUPID SAD HARD, (albeit healthy- I don't want to hear that) TO DO!

I got the kids lunch, and then a phone call came from Sin. She's sick lately, and it worries me a lot. So, I packed up the monkeys and headed downtown, and tried to navigate downtown with construction and one-way traffic. I'm not good at that. Although, I found humour as I turned the wrong-way up a one-way street, where the construction lady looked sideways at me, like I was some person in line at the Passport office on crack! (I was safely behind a barrier, waiting for Sin, it's not like I inadvertently turned that way! I'm not THAT bad of a driver, seriously) But I get a little flustered driving downtown, rush hour or not. Not to mention the downed power line that had a 4-lane road down to ONE LANE! Fetcher who hit the power line is lucky the cops were there-- I woulda busted a cap in his butt. Let's imagine the power line didn't fall on it's own (there were no other cars or people there to blame).

The kids didn't nap, so once I was back home, they were all ready to gash out their eyeballs. And one had thrown up on herself in the car. Funtimes.

Then, a new baby arrived (just for the day) and screamed his head off. THREE HOURS OF SCREAMING!! THREE BLINKING HOURS!! I tried feeding him, I tried distracting him, I tried holding him. I tried everything. It got to my breaking point, where I simply put him in a playpen just so I could close the door for a few minutes before I tried again. Serenity Now.

LL called from the school, wanting to come home 1/2 hour earlier because of a headache. AS IF. Suck it out, buttercup. She loses her temper with me on the phone, and I explain that I dont' have enough seat belts for the 8 kids I have at the house to come get her anyways.

She gets home and immediately starts complaining about how I shoulda picked her up, griping and talking incredibly rudely to me. I suggest taking a nap to see if she feels better. She decides to play outside.

I had an 'evening out' planned. But my hair appointment cancelled. Instead, I was gonna go for a run or something.

I made dinner.
Chris arrived. He informs me that he forgot his volleyball stuff, and will be taking the kids shopping for shorts instead of bathing them and doing their homework.

So, when he returned, they were barely bathed (thank goodness for that) but it was 10 minutes to bedtime. And LL had a letter from her teacher about her homework. And it was yet to be done. And Bear didn't get his done either.

I am at my end.
It is past bedtime.
It is an HOUR PAST BEDTIME!
LL is screaming at me that I won't do her homework for her. That I don't love her to help her... Bear is taking his piddly time getting his own stuff done.

I call the homework to cease, and we have family prayer. LL doesn't join in. She pouts instead. We start without her, and she pouts harder. FINE. JOIN THEN! She joins, and gets into bed, SCREAMING! I give kisses, and walk out the bedroom door. No song tonight-- I'm definitely not in the mood for a lullaby over top of a screamfest.

SHE SCREAMED FOR 15 MINUTES!! like, scream, banshee-esque.

I had enough. I went into her room, told her to stop. She screamed at me. I yelled back. *hear the snap, yet?* I tell her I don't like the way she's treated me tonight. Don't like the way that, when I tried to help her, she got angry and refused to let me help. Told her I didn't like her very much right now.

her little heart broke audibly, as she reiterated between huge sobs, "You don't like me?"

GRRR. Bad mom moment.
"no, I don't. You're not a nice girl right now. you've hurt my feelings all day, and I'm a regular person. Sometimes I'm a mom. And I always love you. But after a whole day of you treating me poorly, and having my feelings hurt all day, I stop being a mom and just become a "Debbi". And right now, Debbi wants to go in her room and be alone."

Ensue tears on both sides.
"you don't love me, Mom?"

my heart breaks as I realize that THIS moment will be one she will likely hold tight to, the way I held tight to certain things my mother said to me in her own 'non-mom' moments when I was a child.

"I'll always love you. You are my pride and joy. I would die for you. I would do anything you asked. I love you with everything I am."

"Then why won't you sing for me?"

"Because singing to you is a gift. And I don't want to give you that gift right now. I'm too sad to give anything else to anyone today. I need to be alone now."

....
I walk away. Took a shower. Cried.

Started missing having a Dad in the home. Not Chris. But a Dad in general-- someone who could take over when Mom is tired. When Mom is losing it, they come in and let Mom hide out in the shower. They would have interfered before I got to the whole "you don't love me, mom?" moment!

In fact, I was angry at Chris, so it wasn't like I was missing him. Because of his stupidity and forgetfulness, the kids' routine was ruined that night. And angry, that because he gets to walk in and out of their day as he pleases, and I'm left with the tornado aftermath. He doesn't 'do' homework. He doesn't get the letters from the teacher. He doesn't deal with the kids being overtired because they didn't get it done earlier. He doesn't have to wake them early to finish it, and still make sure they're on the bus on time, pulling teeth the entire morning. He doesn't deal with their attitudes. Daddy's time is always rainbows and unicorns and all that crap.

Went to go double check the locks on the doors downstairs, where a little voice, cracking, called out my name as I shut the bedroom doors. "Mom?"

"yes, huney."

"My eyes hurt. I am not happy."

"I know sweetheart. Go to sleep. We are tired. I love you"


I hate bad days.

18 comments:

Gretchen said...

oh man, that's a rough one. But, cut yourself a break. The things you said to LL, that's pretty honest and also restrained. You COULD have said, YOU ARE BEING A BABY! or YOU ARE ACTING LIKE A SPOILED BRAT! But you didn't - you told her you loved her and that you are human and that you have feelings that get hurt, just like hers. She can understand that. Sometimes kids have to learn things that hurt a little bit, but that's part of growing up. She's probably at the age where growing up isn't all daisies and rainbows. It's great to hear that you didn't lose your temper with her and you didn't let her tantrum break you.

You are woman, hear you roar.

Keep chuggin, mama.

Debbi said...

Uh, I DID tell her she was acting like a brat. lol

And this WAS me losing my temper! I full-on screamed back at her!

Kare said...

Oh honey. I feel ya. I do. I've got very little to offer in advice, because the fact is you simply had a human moment (egads - you're a regular human????) and it only feels bad because it's so set apart from your "regular mom" self. But the truth is that you handled it very well. You explained your words to her. You separated liking and loving, which is a common truth in all relationships, even the ones with our children. And if it didn't feel bad to have that kind of moment, theh you WOULD be in trouble, because it would mean that it's your norm, or your "everyday". But it's not.

Rudeness, frustration, pouting, silence, yelling, screaming, blame and heartache feel bad, no matter who delivers it to us. Our kids sometimes seem like the exception to some of our rules, in terms of how we're "supposed" to feel about them, and even their behaviour. But our unconditional love for them does NOT mean that we are also obligated to love their behaviour, choices, words or intentions. And although we know this from the head up, our hearts still freeze a little bit in self-doubt and shame when we actually act on it. But kids will never learn the difference between like, love, who they are, and what they do, if we don't show them. So as ugly as that felt to you, it was also necessary.

And so I'm sorry it was so awful, because I've been there too. In that space where you know you weren't really wrong, but it kinda feels like you were! Try to hold onto knowing that the hardest jobs are handed out to the people who do the best loving. That would be you. The parent. And you're good at it. It just doesn't always feel that way.

Love you.

Unknown said...

even though we've never met Debbi, we are sisters bonded through motherhood, separation/divorce, single parenthood, being lonely, overwhelmed, and everything else we can stir up.

hang in there dude.

say sorry when you mess up, realize that it is totally okay to not be a perfect ANYTHING all the time, and it'll all work out right in the end.

and i hate bad days too.

but hey, on the bright side I bet one of your kids didn't get an earring embedded in her earlobe 'cause it was put on too tight.

total "mom of the year" point deduction.

we SO need a vacation, hey?!

love ya.

Our Family Adventure said...

Sad, but true... that sounds like my day yesterday! Hang in there. You ARE an amazing mom!!!

Rhonda said...

Ok the beginning of the post I was all, "dude, her days are like mine!" and I'm sorry but I was laughing. partly because you are hilarious describing your day and partly because when you're not the one dealing with a govt office or puking kid it's sorta funny (sorry again).

And by the end of the post I was crying. bad mom days are rough on us but if you ask me you handled it ok. I mean, we all have days like that. Be easy on yourself. You might actually be my new hero. I'm hooked. I'm a follower! (and you're on my blogroll, hope that's ok)

Becka. said...

You know I love you. You're my soul sister and I've felt the exact same way. You can do this. One day at a time.

You are amazing.

B.

Ps. Did I mention skinny? ;)

My Many Coloured Days said...

We all have bad days. I know mine are much more extreme when I'm flying solo - don't know how you do it day in and day out. Apologies are a fabulous way of teaching that we all make mistakes and that we can keep on trying. I think you did wonderfully. But it's still hard feeling that mommy guilt. Hope today goes better for you. (And screw homework.)

EmmaP said...

ok - so, first this post had me in hysterics... seriously - the wrong way down a one-way st??? hee hee hee. then it had me in tears. i have had that moment with my daughter - all too recently, in fact. and all too often lately it seems. i feel like a horrible mother afterwards. i am glad to know that i am not the only one. i think the job of a mother is hard work. i think the job of a working mother is even harder. but the job of a single working mom (no materr how "involved" the father) is hardest of all. And sometimes, our days dont go as planned. and some days we feel like we have snapped. and some days we just wanna crawl under the covers and cry and wish that there was someone in bed next to us to cuddle *US* and care for *US* and tell *US* that everything will be ok. then we breathe... in and out and in again. And we try to relax. and we remind ourselves that our savior is there and that HE can put his arms encircled 'round us. then - we cry some more... till we cry ourselves to sleep.

the best part is - not every day is like that. and we grow and realize how strong we women really are... the worst part? waking up with puffy eyes! ha!

debbi - here's some bloggy hugs from one single-working-mom-sister to another... love ya!

deb@virginia blue said...

I'm sending you the biggest hug EVER...because I love you!

In 18 years of motherhood, I can't tell you how many bad mother days I've had...and even though I've never been seperated or divorced, Big Daddy traveled for months at a time when the kids were younger. I know exactly how tough it can be to handle things all on your own.

Just know that if I lived closer, I'd totally be arranging to take you out for some girl fun right now =)

Wendy said...

I'm sorry you had a rough day. I think you handled your daughter pretty well - we forget to teach our kids how important it is to treat your family well. Familiarity breeds contempt and all that. She's old enough to figure it out.

I had to look at your "who's who" page to figure out your post, and saw "EF" and the description of Chris. Now I'm all, "I have to see how this lady has kept her sanity & stayed so nice." Because mine would be more like "DBEH" for "d-bag ex-hubby" and "CDB" for "crazy devil beach" (not beach but I'm trying to keep it rated G here), etc.

Thank you God I haven't had to do it all on my own forever, but I remember SO MANY DAYS when my daughter had screamed. And screamed. And screamed. And wrapped her body around my ankle and screamed some more. And hubby hadn't been home in 3 weeks and all he wanted was shower, noogie, bed and "child? I have a child? what child? And what is that racket? Make it stop!" and I just wanted to Run. Away.

Erin said...

Parallel days is right!! But I reiterate what has already been said. You are helping raise LL into a compassionate & thoughtful girl by reminding her (even if it has to be ina not-so-gentle way sometimes) that other people have feelings & she needs to respect that...

Wow. This is a lot easier when it's someone else, eh?? ;)

Try not to beat yourself up too bad - like it was said, if it felt "right" then there would be a bigger problem.

And apologizing is HUGE!! When I think back to even the most severe of "those" moments in my memory with my mom - I honestly believe I could have let them go & even forgotten them if she had apologized.

Tanis, said...

I was half tempted to just cut and paste the very kind comment you left for me the other day. It IS ok to just be a person sometimes without being the super mom. I'm comforted to know those bad days happen to others and not just me.

Look on the bright side...the passport office went well:)))

Grand Pooba said...

Oh my gosh Debbie, I so look up to you. That was a rough day and look at you, you lived to write about it! Honestly I can't believe we are the same age because you seem so much wiser and you've gone through so much in your short life!

I look up to you! Motherhood is hard in itself with a mom and a dad. I hate how the dad now gets to be the good guy. He doesn't have to do any disciplining anymore because he just gets to drop them back off with you. I totally agree with you there!

You will have so many GREAT Mom moments in your life that will so out number the bad days!

Hang in there! Pick yourself up some ketchup chips tomorrow!

zipbagofbones said...

i'd hug you but i don't want to infect youk so i'll just ::hug:: you

Anonymous said...

Okay as a mom of 3 and a kindergarten teacher (in Calgary!) those are the nights you do NOT do homework. You write a nice note to the teacher saying "life happened - we will do the homework the next night." Any teacher who is a parent should understand that. From reading your blog I can tell you are an amazing mom (not to mention doing it mostly on your own). How I know you are a good parent . . . the bad ones NEVER question themselves and never care to think about those "bad moments" after they are done! I watched you on X-weighted and was totally motivated by you - a fabulous episode. I keep thinking I might see you out and about in Calgary - I might ask you for an autograph!!!!

Michelle said...

I have had a million days like that. I hope today was much better for you.

Ryan Ashley Scott said...

To quote Alexander (who had a terrible, horrible... very bad day), or his mother, actually, "Some days are like that... even in Australia."

I'm sorry it sucked, hon. Hope tomorrow is better. (((hug)))