Monday, March 30, 2009

Keep it in Perspective

I feel like I've been 'away' for a long time-- no blogging in my life is CRAZY!

Thankfully, I have a quiet house now, as spring break is over and I'm back to routine. Whatever that is in my world! We only have 4 kids today-- *relief* So blogging resumes.

I wish I also had something more entertaining to talk about- just seems like every weekend comes and goes and all I can talk about is how awesome my time spent with Will was. Which is TOTALLY true, only slightly monotonous for the rest of ya'll.Will and I in the snow in front of the Cardston Temple

LL found out from Will's niece about how we are dating. So, she came up to me the other day and let me know how she felt about what was said. It was exactly as the separation course had said it would be according to her age-- she was very worried that, if I got remarried, she'd lose her Dad. Or that she'd have to share a room with more people. Or other things that a child would worry about ("STEP" parent has an evil aura to it because of Disney. thanks a lot, Walt!) It was a good, grown-up conversation just between her and I. And I reminded her of her father's love (both FATHERS) and of the bond that will never change.

I talked to Chris about it. Although it's not our 'plan' to wait the three months before introducing the kids to people we're dating, this was slightly out of our hands. So we deal with it and progress.

He had a talk with her a little later while I was away.
And said things I was so touched by. He told her of his love for her (obviously), but also told her how, if I remarried someone, we'd be a team of three, instead of just a team of two. He told her that she'd probably really like Will, and that she should get to know him. He helped her think of questions to ask him when she saw him next, helped her find something positive about Will that Chris doesn't have. LL said that she liked that Will would come to church with us every week, and Chris replied in a great way. "I'm happy you have something special with Will! That is very nice, and you can share that with him, just for the two of you. Just like you and I have special things just for us, it's okay to have special things with Will too." Chris impresses me with his 'big picture' attitude and I am sooo grateful for the divorce that we have. As much as I feel slightly ridiculed for it sometimes, I would have it no other way. It works for me. It works for Chris. And because of that, I know it will work for our kids-- they will be loved, safe, and supported.

So, this weekend, LL 'got to know' Will. Asked the questions. And by the end of the weekend, she wouldn't stop touching him-- hugging, climbing... whatever! (She's a Physical Touch person) I enjoyed watching her bond to him in a new way, her eyes slightly more openned to the possibility of having Will around for me and 'us', and not just as the uncle to her friend.

Bear bonds really well to Will. Which I mentioned before. But Mimi bonded to Will a LOT this weekend- now that he feels like he can actually interact with the kids on a more personal level, it makes a difference, I think. And Will's kids are too easy to get along with, they're fantastic.
"B-Ray", Mimi, "Grace" and LL watching Flight Of The Navigator

And the kids played. And cuddled. And got to know each other more and more. And all in all, my heart was touched many times this weekend. Little moments I hope to preserve and continue to make.

11 comments:

Kare said...

I'm boo-hooing a bit in a good way from reading the convo between Chris and LL... and am so happy for you that in the areas that count most now, Chris is totally stepping up and being the man you knew he could be. You knew it was there, because you'd seen it and lived it even before now. And even though your life has turned in a completely different direction, it is peaceful, and filled with clarity (and therefore, the right move!) I'm so glad for you that you still get to experience some of the best parts of your relationship with Chris as you all go through this transition. Even though you knew he was capable of this kind of love and behaviour, and in many ways, are not surprised to see it return, I think it's good for Chris to see himself in this way again. And that makes me happy. For you, and for Chris.

Love ya.

deb@virginia blue said...

I am SO happy for you.

Ryan Ashley Scott said...

Awww, that is SO good to hear. It's a very important step to have both parents on board and to connect with a strong bond to a new person.

Kristi said...

my roommate and I were talking about how little girls react to some of the men we have over, as her daughter is just 9 months younger than yours. My man told me that on friday the same 7-year-old ran up to him and gave him the hugest hug at an activity. It touched his heart, but more importantly, mine (and her mom was pleased that he gave off a good vibe with kids). I know the feeling. I love reading your blog, but don't feel like you OWE the world to write. it's YOUR blog. You can write as much about Will as you want!

Our Family Adventure said...

Made me tear up. Wow. What a great mommy!!!

Kat said...

How awesome! Coming form someone who has been there, it sounds like you guys are doing and saying all the right stuff, The relationship between her Dad and her stepdad will be soo important to her especially as she gets older.
I am so happy for you-I heard from someone the other day that you are looking fabulous and really happy, :)

Anonymous said...

This was the nicest post! It's so important to be supportive for kids after a divorce, and present a united, loving front. I'm happy for you and Chris that you're able to talk and communicate with each other. After all, although the marriage hasn't worked out as you had hoped when you got married, there was always something that attracted you to each other. Too many separated/divorced couples forget that.

I wish my own parents had been able to communicate so maturely and support me and my brother after they separated, rather than making us feel caught in the middle (which happens to this day, into adulthood and my OWN marriage!)

Chris is an awesome guy. And you're an awesome lady! Cheers to both of you for being so mature and putting your children first!

Grand Pooba said...

Oh man, the whole divorce and remarriage thing is always a challenge. My parents have been divorced for 15 years now and neither have remarried. My mom just recently announced out of the blue that she's getting married. and it's still hard as an adult seeing the consequences, like selling the house I grew up in! I didn't think it'd be hard for me since I'm and adult and I don't even live with my mom anymore!

EmmaP said...

that is a cute pic of the two of you and a cute pic of the kids. seems like it is working out. i am happy for you and am happy that you're happy!!!

Unknown said...

Wow. this post is an emotional one for me on so many levels. Just the gravity of the situation, even a good situation, and how it takes the help of everyone involved to make this transition easier for the kids...man...life i shard sometimes, isn't it? But would we have it any other way? Would we be the same people we are if life were easy? I am so glad for you that things are working out. Kudos to everyone involed for being caring adults about it.

Adlibby said...

color me totally impressed with how you all are handling your divorce. What a great gift to give your kids! God Bless!