Monday, March 16, 2009

A, B, C, D, E, ...G, H, I

Talking on the phone to Will. The other line beeps in. I recognize the number.

*Commence heart racing.*

D: Oh Crap. Hey, can I call you back? It's EF.
Will: yah, okay.

*click*
D: Hello?
EF: Hey!
D: uh, how are you?
EF: Good. You?
D: well, I called the other day because I wanted to apologize for you feeling uncomfortable the other day.
EF: *laughs* well, YOU didn't do anything.
D: technically, no, but I am sorry that it didn't work out the way it should have. I knew he was going to talk to you, but I had kinda thought that you'd be the one to decide if that happened or not. I'm sorry that wasn't your choice, and you felt upsetted by it.
EF: Thanks. No, I wouldn't have ever called him.
D: well, that was your choice. I'm sorry you didn't get to make it.
...
...
..
But, the other thing *commence shaking and rambling* is that, ... well... I don't know what you know. Well, seeing as I haven't talked to you since I saw you last, I know you DON'T know. But the papers are in, and Chris and I are divorcing in a few weeks. He's out of the house now Pretty much after you left (on vacation)-- nearly, RIGHT after.
EF: WHAT? Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't know, no, but last time I was here, I thought you two were trying to work it through.
D: well, that's just it. The last time you were here, I pretty much realized that I couldn't have him around. Having him around was a constant reminder of pain. I love him, and it's not because he did anything wrong, but... I need to move on and having him here doesn't let that happen. *Big breath. Commence silent tears and more shaking, voice faltering. * Which is why I need you out too. I mean, I love you, and... I just... I'm shaking like crazy... I just... but seeing you reminded me of that pain.
EF: just seeing my face?
D: no. Having the kids back in the home... just... everything. I reread my journal from that time, too, and realized that I was in the same place emotionally then as I was now. I mean, I had gone through so much, and grown in lots of ways, but that I was still no further ahead. And that wasn't okay with me. I realized that, although I honestly do forgive you, and love you, *commence out loud crying now, sniffing, voice still shaking and cracking* and will miss you like crazy, I realize you're a part of my life I need out. Like Chris, you are a reminder of that pain.
EF: it's okay, hun. It's probably better for both of us in order to progress in our lives.
D: yah. I enjoyed our friendship a lot, but kinda know, and... I'm trying to be nice and not offensive because I don't want that... but that our friendship wasn't what I thought it was anyways.
EF: I know. It is now, though.
D: I know. When you called to tell me he called, I really appreciated that, and knew that our friendship was different. Which is why I don't think I was able to tell you then, when I should have.
...
...
*tears*
I'm so sorry. I've never told anyone to get out of my life, and I love you and this is really upsetting me. I'm sorry I couldn't be that friend you need.

EF: No, I understand. Hey, don't worry, hun. It wasn't your fault. ...

But I will wave at you, or say hello, if we happen to pass each other on the street or something.


*silence*

D: I can be friendly. There's no reason not to be. But I don't want you to phone me, or try to set up dates with the kids or anything.
EF: Okay. I love you too. And, don't worry. You can always change your mind later. Who knows.

*Crying*
D: I gotta go. I'm sorry. I love you.

*Click*


The shaking has still not stopped.

14 comments:

GuppiesGalore said...

(((hugs)))

Heather May said...

I'm sorry. Love you.

Anonymous said...

It takes an incredible person to not only forgive but to realize that forgiving doesn't always mean staying/being friends. This is a huge step, Debbi. Scary I know....and worth the shaking for sure...but great job! Sending ((hugs)) your way!

Need some cupcakes? I know a great place ;)

Debbie Jo said...

Wow, you did it! ***HUGS*** :D

Unknown said...

Wow. You're so amazing, Deb. That would take a lot of courage. *hugs*

Beauty of Expression said...

All the steps you are taking is bringing you closer to where you want to be. I am so proud of you for having the courage to do what your heart knew was right for you.
Loves your way
<3

Jillene said...

You are taking the right steps to heal. ((((HUGS))))

deb@virginia blue said...

I'm sending you LOADS of cyberlove right now...

Michelle said...

I am so proud of you. That took loads of courage!
I pray the healing continues for you. (((hugs)))

EmmaP said...

so now - take a deep breath. do what you need to do to move on, move up and feel like you again. maybe in time she will be back in your life or maybe never again. but calling a spade a spade and having the guts to call it out in a nice way shows that you are the bigger person and that you realize what you need to do to heal... prayers and hugs headed your way.

genkibond said...

Ummmm. I dont get it. Maybe cause I'm a guy.
EF did this all this bad stuff to you and your family, and ruined your trust, right?
So you get mad, make a decision, you call her on it and kick her out of your life. (rightly so)
Why are YOU the one feeling bad?

I dont understand women, sorry.

Anonymous said...

it's not because you are a guy genkibond, it's because you are sane
it is ridiculous for her to feel bad at all-she should have told ef to get out of her life a long time ago

Debbi said...

Anon- your reply inplies that you think how I feel is ridiculous. People have issues in life because they're afraid to feel. So, while you may find my REASONS ridiculous, it is NOT ridiculous for me to feel bad. It's how I feel.

Secondly, it implies that I'm also insane for not doing things on your time schedule.

Although you agree with Genki, you could possibly try to word it more nicely in the future as he did.

Annelie said...

You are so BRAVE and STRONG.

♥ & hugs