Saturday, November 15, 2008

All Apologies

I got a letter from Beau the other day. I wrote him a letter a few weeks ago for his birthday, but didn't really know what to say in it. First time in his and my friendship where I was afraid of what to say. It was funny, I was actually fearful of what he'd write back, so I sat in the car and opened it right there at the mailbox.

It was a good letter. He's obviously back to 'himself', as his writing is coherent and flowing in ways that it wasn't when he was sick. He's healthy again, which is nice to hear. And he's incredibly remorseful and apologetic. I worried he'd be mad at me for working with the police, (although he knows that's just the way I am) but he isn't. He said some very touching things about how a day doesn't pass that he doesn't regret exposing my family to his 'insanity'. And many sentences to say sorry to me, the kids and Chris.

As he said in the letter, he's "right where (he) belongs". I'm glad he's safe. I'm glad the REAL Beau is back.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, it's much easier to be remorseful when you don't have access to the drugs, you have no money, you are removed from family and friends and sitting in a lonely jail cell.

Remember, he is not entirely responsible for exposing your family to his "insanity". You made that choice entirely on your own.

Maybe his "apology" letter makes you feel better about the poor decision you made...just a thought.

Debbi said...

You're right, it is easier to be remorseful in a place like that-- it's also easier to be an ass and be totally ruined by your surroundings. So I'm glad he's chosen remorse.

I never said he was entirely responsible for anything.

His apology letter makes me feel happy because it's the real Beau I know and love. Nothing to do with my decision. And, even if it did, his opinion means more to me than yours, so if it makes me feel better about ANYTHING, he's done more for me through his words than you have through yours.

Anonymous said...

Wow. Sometimes it boggles my mind how little understanding people have about drug-addiction, which is a very serious and complicated illness. There is no room for moralistic judgements when someone is suffering that deeply. More people need to open their hearts the way Debbi has.

Debbi, you're a beautiful soul, you know what you're doing --your love and compassion shines through in this situation. My heart goes out to Beau and I wish him healing.