Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Tangible Loves

So, here's my cant-live-without-it post about products that I think every GIRL should own. *don't say I didn't warn you boys about the content-- although, some products are unisex. Others are.., uh, NOT! In price-ranges like these, you can't get better bang for the buck! Trust me, I've looked and tried many others. Some friends have introduced me to these things, so I'm passing along the favour. If you have others that you LOVE that aren't on the list, comment! I always love trying new things.


  • This stuff was introduced to me from my friend, MC. And she was SOOO right-- it's awesome stuff! Every time I wear it, I feel like I have the hottest legs. (which, we all know, is SO obviously undebate-able! I mean, clearly! ) Easy to use and super easy to apply, the colour is natural (not orange or odd) and soft. And it blends SUPER easily. I use the darkest one, and it still looks good. Other types aren't as good for INSTANT colour that looks good. If you 'over-apply', use body lotion to smooth out and blend better, and you're ready to go. no tanning beds, no hassle, no time. Perfect. $15 @ Walmart
  • Not that I think I'd wear them, but frilly underwear are all the rage in the stores right now. And I think they're SUPER cute. But frilly-bums remind me of underwear I put on my baby girls, and well, something's just wrong about lace on my butt! $15-$30 @ LaSenza
  • I found this in Utah, but I'm sure they have something up here by now. It is GREAT for wearing heels and other blister-able shoes without having the hideous bandaid thing. And it works! ~$5 @ Albertson's
  • In case you can't find it, THESE ARE DEFINITELY God-send! Best Bandaids EVER!! Soft, padded, and in spite of a previous blister, there is NO pain if you wear the SAME SHOES, as this bandaid totally protects the spot. Love! $?? @ ANY place that sells Bandaids-- They're Bandaids, how much can they really be?!
  • I'm a DOVE girl. I use their body wash, their bar soap, their deodorant, their shampoo and conditioner, their eye-cream, and their body lotion. But I find ALL face-creams either drying or too oily. And I have super-sensitive skin because of my proneness to eczema. SOO, THIS Dove product is the only thing I use on my face (only, the sensitive skin/unscented one). It feels great! And works better than other, more expensive brands I've tried. $12 @ Walmart/Safeway/Stupidstore
  • Toe rings, and clear/light-coloured nail-polished toes. Feminine and simple. I used to LOVE dark nail polish on toes, but I'm going through a light-coloured phase. You can get 5 toe-rings at Walmart for, like, 5 bucks. And they've got TONNES of different styles. But these are the ones I bought- sorry for the foot-shot. $5 @ Walmart, pack of 5
  • Norwex Descaler. BEST PRODUCT! First off, Norwex is 100% chemical-free for cleaning, so you're not hurting the environment or your family who uses the products! That being said, I'm pretty sceptical about 'green' products, because they seldom work. (ie: cleaning windows with newspaper or vinegar-- DOESN'T WORK!) But Norwex has a few products I love love love. One, the window-cloths. The ONLY thing I've ever seen to use ONLY WATER and clean mirrors to a PERFECT SHINE. No word of a lie. Best cloth ever! Second, the descaler. I have glass around my en suite shower and hard water = crappy hard-water deposits on the glass. I have scrubbed and scrubbed- it doesn't come off. No CLR, no other products.. NOTHING. Descaler... I sprayed it on, and the scales came off in seconds. NO scrubbing. Just, washed right off! Permanently. I use it once every 4 months, and it's like a NEW shower! A little goes a long way, too, so the price is SOOO worth it! Amazing amazing amazing! Find a Norwex consultant for these two products alone and you'll thank me. They have lots of other GREAT stuff too! $30 or so-- contact consultant for price
  • Lysol Disinfecting Wipes. Haha, going from 'save the world' Descaler to Lysol is a bit of a jump. But some things need disinfecting, and clearly, the bathroom is one of them. I got schooled by dayhome kids about not having these, which was funny, so I went and got some to see what all the fuss was about. THEY WERE RIGHT-- great cloths to wash the toilet with. I use it on doorknobs and light switches and toilets, and it makes everything clean again without having a nasty, germy cloth to wash. Just throw the wipe in the garbage and you're set. $3-6 @ Superstore
  • Speaking of wipes, for you girls: on those.. uh... days when you need to feel.. uh... better. Yah. Or the Pap. or whatever. These are worth it. One wipe'll do. LOL They also come in travel-size, individually wrapped. Good to have on hand, I tell ya. $6 @ Walmart
  • My favourite Christmas indulgence. Only at Christmas, or else I'd be MUCH fatter than I am. yummy yummy. Try these, you'll LOVE them! $8 @ Walmart/Grocery stores
  • The most wicked hair-straightener by Coriolis. I bought it in a kiosk in the mall, and it was worth the money. Yes, they're slightly pricey, but I've had mine for a few years now, and it still works awesomely for straight OR curls. I have the pink one and I HIGHLY recommend it. $200-$250 @ Chinook Mall or other local mall kiosk




Hopefully some of these products help your life as they've helped mine. Could I live without them, yah, but who would WANT to?!

10 comments:

Debbie Jo said...

This was a fun post. I love it. Kind of reminded me of "Oprah's favorite things"

Anonymous said...

I dunno about the frilly underpants. LOL! Maybe if I had no butt...but I have a booty already and don't need to add 'volume' to that area. LOL!

I love the Dove moisturizer too.

Those Playtex wipes...we just use wetwipes around here. :) Work great and are multifunctional! :) Dirty coffee table? Wetwipe! Mucky face? Wetwipe! Less-than-fresh kootchie? Wetwipe! Hahaha.

Unknown said...

Wait--does emily wipe her coffee table and mucky faces with PLAYTEX wipes or LYSOL wipes? I'm hoping the latter, but she *did* specify which she preferred. lol

Those look pretty snazzy. Gotta love awesome innovations!

Debbi said...

no no, she wipes EVERYTHING with "Wetwipes". Similar to bum-wipes, but not.

Anonymous said...

"Hold yer breath chillin's...mama's comin' atcha with a Lysol wipe for the crusty nose!" Can you imagine??!?! LOL!!!

Yeah...Wetwipes. They're pretty mild for faces and hands...and work pretty good on tables and general dusting. Although, don't use one on your ebony finish piano or your mother will kill you. Only water-damp cloth diapers for that apparently.

Anonymous said...

Yoiks! As for the piano, I would heartily advise NO wet products of any persuasion!! Having worked in that business for years, it's been pounded into me by the poor folks who actually make those things, and finish them, to only use a dry cloth - microfibre, or something else non-linting and soft enough for a baby. But most definitely, nothing wet or even damp. (eww... don't like that word...) And unless it's a professional piano product, no sprays, either.

Sorry to butt in there... I'm sure her piano is just fine - just thought I'd mention what the experts have told me! :)

Anonymous said...

Heheh. Don't worry Kare. Earlier this week, a certain coworker of mine mentioned that her husband (who is a self-taught piano player that loves Christmas carols) had recently started giving their daughter piano instruction. Your digression/admonition is nothing compared to what the next two or three minutes were in our work lunchroom that day. I flatter myself that you would've been proud.

My Many Coloured Days said...

This is totally random and weird, but I just did a fairly similar post. It must be shopping season.

Anonymous said...

How do you get fingerprints off an ebony finish without the chammois being damp? I was taught by our tuner to use a dry cloth (because dust is abrasive), then a damp cloth and then a dry cloth again.

Anonymous said...

I know - there are, of course, conflicting opinions!! But the guys I worked with always just used what used to be "special" piano microfibre - now it's just plain old microfibre! (I guess it isn't their own special kind anymore...)

As long as the fibre count is ridiculously high, and the weave shiny instead of facecloth-like, it takes the fingerprints right off even with no wet step. The issue is that you have to get a decent quality cloth - Norwex makes one most similar to what we used to work with - called a Window cloth. It's the same one Debbi mentioned in her "loves" post. There is a little bit more elbow-grease involved with the ebony than the windows ;) but if you're trying to avoid the wet step, then it's the most effective way to go, IMO. Hope that helps! :)

(And again - I'm sure her piano's just fine! Lots of pianos have seen the diaper + water treatment and show no signs of damage, whatsoever! Just wanted to give you an alternative...)