Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Doesn't everyone get a blender when they get married?!

It's tricky being a blended family.

It's tricky enough getting married when you're older, because you are already SET in routines and desires and traditions. But, add in some children, a few exes, their families and you have the makings of a new soup for everyone!

Recently, Will and I discussed Christmas traditions. Turns out that MOST of our traditions can be done on BOTH sides. But there's a few 'conflicting' ones, where we'll have to pick to give ours up, keep it, or just make a whole NEW one. For Will and I, traditions can be changed. But when we add children, it's a bit tougher. What's most important to them, and what can change? Santa Claus does different things at different households.. so, what does he do HERE?

We are also figuring out weekends. When does Will's ex have the older kids, when do we? Seeing as how Em lives with us but the others don't, there's more travelling now. Having one ex requires work for scheduling and holidays, but we also have MY ex, Chris. So double the work. When does he have the younger ones? And, if he moves, what happens then? And the travelling ... oh the travelling.

Will's kids eat differently than mine do. Not a LOT differently, but snacks and grazing foods for sure. So, grocery shopping changes. Menu planning revolves slightly around which children are home and when. Dislikes and favourites and habits.

What rules did I have in my home that Will doesn't share?
Given, a lot of these things you find out through dating-- and a lot of them, we did! But, because we didn't LIVE together beforehand, there are some things that you can't know until then.

It's tricky, too, as Will's kids are older than mine so rules are different for some than others. Thankfully Grace and LL are only a year apart, so it bridges the "olders" from the "youngers" much better.

Decorating a home. Planning family vacations. Routines for homework. Songs at family prayer-- there are many things we're learning from each other, and many more to come, I know it.

I look forward to each morning that Will and I grow our OWN family tree. Our OWN fruits, our own traditions.

Although we're two separate families becoming one,.. we are definitely nine great peas in this pod!

(We shelled peas for Gramma, and Will found this one! How appropriate, hey?)

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't say I understand how you feel, but it will be a fun journey to go through and discover how to make your blended family work together as one pod. It will be fun!

Oh, and we didn't get a blender as a wedding gift either. Crazy, eh?!

Jillene said...

It might be tough at first but these things have a way of working themselves out.

Oh and I got 8 blenders for wedding gifts--kind of makes us the same right?! (0;

Kare said...

I love that pea!!! Awesome. :)

p.s. Word verification: tuffi

Defn: What a flakey teenager calls a tricky question - "That's a tuffi, dude..."

Carla McDaniel said...

Blending a family is always Tricky :)
But what an adventure. What a challenge. I know you are totally up for it!! You'll figure things out soon enough.
Miss you:)

Dorienne said...

Lots to think about and do. We miss you.

Grand Pooba said...

It's definately a sign from the pea pod gods! lol

I always wonder how blended families do it. I mean you're like the Bradys which makes me wonder, where were their ex's in the mix???

If only TV could be reality!

EmmaP said...

why is it dear Debbi, that I am always crying at your posts as of late??? This is another one that has me soooo..... "melty"... thanks!

holymotherofgod said...

Mmmm peas, so full of goodness. It's going to come together, easy PEAsy!!!

Rhonda said...

what a super post and the picture at the end seals the deal! look at how all those peas peacefully coexist.

Not easy for a real-life blended family but definitely doable. I think you should have a vote with the older ones how they would like to do things and then make the decisions as a family. Hopefully the ones that don't get there way in one area WILL get there way in another. Good luck!

Wendy said...

What a very authentic reflection on where you are at right now! I loved this post and sharing all of the things you are going through. I came into a pre-made family when I was just 18 and that was tough, too. One of the things that I learnt as a mother (that I sorely lacked at 18) was patience - but it sounds like you have that in abundance. Blessings to you and yours (and yours and yours and yours) ;-)