Sunday, March 7, 2004

Wishing For Daisy Halos - Family Feuds

well, today I woke up early to drive about 3 hours to Cardston to watch my cousin's child be blessed. It was quite the interesting day, what with the dynamics of everything and the "family news" that was shared-- whether willingly or not.

Actually, yesterday, I went to pick up the cake that I ordered for her. I hadn't decided what to actually write on it, some shrewd blurb or saying that wouldn't offend anyone, but still make those LDS people satisfied. So, there were a lot of considerations-- strictly LDS sayings? Funny sayings? Non-denominational sayings? See, we didn't know how the mother felt about blessing the babe, or if the father or his family would be there, and who would find the funny things funny or who would find them offensive and irreverent. We settled on "I am a Child Of God", and it got appreciation from everyone there, so i was REALLY relieved about that.

But, I really had a great day. It was a very family oriented day, and really nice catching up with cousins that I enjoy being with but don't often see. Watching people young and old take their places in the pecking order was kinda like people-watching at the airport....entertaining and somewhat disturbing at times.

I love my family, but my extended family has a few too many issues that are simmered just a TAD too long ("tad" being used very loosely)... and they aren't very, uh... tactful. I think my extended family is really dysfunctional, but then I think that EVERY family is dysfunctional-- we just admit it and openly talk about it!

But, like, on the other hand, I don't think that MY family is dysfunctional-- just my mother's. (she isn't too functional herself sometimes). But my siblings, in general, we're really great together. After reading Marce's LJ comment, I'm obviously not the only one in this thinking. I have a GREAT family, and I don't see a lot of animosity between my siblings (from my view in the line-up), so it's really nice to have such a great support system.

And in saying that, even my extended family is a great support system, when push comes to shove. In spite of the differences, they all come to baby blessings, they all come to baptisms, they all interchange clothing and indirectly practice the whole law of consecration thing..

I'm also feeling truly blessed. And that's just on MY side.. Chris' family is equally amazing.

0 comments: