Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Directions to my new house

I am learning a lot about the new place I live. Southern Alberta is quite a Mormon area. And it's pretty much guaranteed that there will be a daily conversation on lineage. (who are you related to? Where are you from? What's your maiden name? Do you know Joe?) Southern Albertans don't realize how odd it is to label people in such a way, and, to someone like me, (an outsider coming IN), it's intimidating and scary and strange. Really, WHO CARES what my Gramma's first brother's cousin's step-mother's name is?! And no, I'm not related to the same John Smith family as the ones who live on the corner in the blue house.

Sadder yet? I went to church in our new ward again this Sunday.
Introduced myself as Debbi "McSpanky", because I knew that introducing myself as Debbi Barber would prove useless as I'll be changing that last name in a few weeks. The next question, "what's your maiden name"...
And then later- "Who are you related to? Are you from Southern Alberta?"
And then, the inevitable, "Whose house did you move into?"


Where's the sad part, you ask? Well, I answered all of those questions (for the bagillionth time) as a Southern Albertan. Yes. I fell into the trap. ...I moved into "Jack Dawson's old home". The yellow one on the corner with the playground in the back.

Yes.

I gave that answer.

And everyone knew what house I was talking about.

If you're not from around Southern Alberta, and you wanna come visit me and Will, we'd love visitors. You may sleep on a foamie in the basement until the old house sells and we bring out beds over, but we'd still love to see ya. I may even bake cookies. Just don't ask me which house number it is. I couldn't tell ya. But we live right beside Norma Jean and right behind Gertrude and Thomas. You'll find us. Ask at the post office. They'll likely give you our mail to take to us too. But don't ask about Mrs. Johnson's health, or you'll hear all about her latest boil issue.

True story.

12 comments:

Debbie Jo said...

I love you, and I am coming to visit....umm....I'll be there there this weekend. No foamie needed...I'll be at my mom's. Eldon and Robyn Kearl will be in town, so I'm just popping by for visits.

See you soon!!!

Grand Pooba said...

Aaaaahhhh! Oh no, sounds like small town syndrome where everyone knows everything about everyone. That can be really good or really bad in my opinion :) But it sounds like the neighborhood is really friendly and so you will fit in just fine.

Although don't start talking about your toe fungus or warts please ;)

(Love your new last name, McSpanky)

Valena Davidsen said...

I drove around looking for your yellow house and found 47 of them,lol. I will try again tomorrow when I am in Cardston again. It is very true about Southern Alberta, I have no idea what my parents address is...they live in the big white house on the corner with the red shingles and red driveway by the Chinook old folks home,lol.

Dorienne said...

Haa ha. That is so true. Kind of fun don't ya think? Best of luck in your new home and new hometown. Cowtown will miss you.

holymotherofgod said...

ROFL. Is Mabel nearby? What about Uncle Phil McCracken, or did they decide to put him in a home after all?!

Omg too funny. What's the population, under 1000?

oooh good word verification
HOTFONIC

I believe this is the term small towns use for exciting interesting gossip.

Tanis, said...

Ha Ha. Ha! Don't fight it Debbie! Just join us! :)))

Hailey said...

Sooo funny!!!

And so true....great post - a good batch of humour for the day!

can't wait to see you and the kidlets sometime!!!

Mr. Brightside said...

Perfect.

I wasn't sure which house to 'TP'.

500 rolls is a lot to waste.

On. The wrong house. :)

EmmaP said...

omgosh! too funny! i think it must be a mormon thing, when there are a lot of Mo's in the same hood. When i moved here, everyone was like, "whose house did you move into?" i sighed and answered, "Lori Taylor's"... not knowing that LORI didn't live here long enough for people to get to know her. Everyone was always like, "WHO???" I was like, *sigh* "Lori Taylor". then after THAT didn't work, I'd add, "Right between Willises & the Holbrooks; across from Bishop Silva." Then they would say, "OHHH!!! [lightbulb] the Thurgoods old house?" I'm like, "dude... how the fudge should I know???"... ah well... foamies sound like fun... i think it's only like a 15 hour drive from Woods Cross??? hmmm: Note To self: Take Kids on Trip to Southern Alberta, and ask Debbi to stay on foamies in her house!

Lynn said...

LOL!!!!!! And that's exactly why I left my teeny tiny small home town at 17. I couldn't get to the big city fast enough.

Oh well. I am SURE it will be much better to a 20 something blogger. ; ) I'm sure it will.

Anonymous said...

...you must live beside Leonard then, right? Boy, you've got a lot of grass to cut, and sidewalk to shovel, don't you!! (Saw you talking to Leonard tonight just before dusk - you must have been negotiating with him about him continueing to do your walks, etc., right??)

Unknown said...

Oh funny....
I live in the 'old Johnson home' in my neighborhood. And I mean old....built in 1906.